Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Named Appelgreen M35 in rough condition

Article about: I bought this helmet from the Netherlands out of the hands of another collector. Its an M35 that has lost much Paint but still retains some of its Original Appelgreen Factory Paint. The Helm

Default Named Appelgreen M35 in rough condition

Hello fellow collectors,
    here is my late Christmas present:

I bought this helmet from the Netherlands out of the hands of another collector.
    Its an M35 that has lost much Paint but still retains some of its Original Appelgreen Factory Paint.
    The Helmet has only one layer of paint and seems to have never been repainted, it retains its original Linerband with all Splitpins sitting tight in their original position.
    The leather has come loose and is in a rather bad shape, but amazingly retains a pencil inscription which reads supposedly „Kronenberg“.
    in the dome there is also an scratched inscription which reads „Karl“ and some Numbers which cant be captured on camera, but they look like a 14 and a 39, with the Numbers between indecipherable, but i think it might have been the date the soldier scratched his name in there.

I´ve done some research and there is only one Soldier who fits and who would have been in the Army as early as 39, Karl Ernst Franz Kronenberg who died on the
    27.02.1947 in an Prisoner Camp in the Ukraine, and who was born on the 16.11.1914, its definitly not sure that he is this very Soldier, but i still love that the Helmet is named and has something personal about it.

Named Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough conditionNamed Appelgreen M35 in rough condition

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named Appelgreen M35 in rough condition
    P
    Many

A wonderful helmet
    You can see all over the helmet that it have seen the Frontline and its history
    I like it
    It seem to be a early one because the shield is not overpainted
    BR
    Bavarian

Salty, but honest, a nice addition to your collection, well done. Also great to get a bit of the original owners "time capsule" included! Leon.

Update: I‘ve finally found out what the numbers on the Helmet are, I looked at in in different lights, and then found out it says 732. What could that mean? Maybe Infantry Regiment 732?

Named Appelgreen M35 in rough condition

It is rough but it is an honest helmet , that is the right stuff. The numbers in helmet could mean a lot of things but we will never know.

MAP
    ?

Helmets were re-issued to different soldiers. As such I would caution against assuming the two names (written separately and on different part of the helmet) belonged to the same person.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Even early collectors are known to write their names on the leather , like you used to write your name in comic books.

I think it is period, regarding the state of the liner and the fact that this was a existing name in the Wehrmacht.

Regarding the 2 user idea... i have thought of that myself, but abolished it because of the helmet itself. It has definitly only one coat of paint, the Original Appelgreen one, the liner is also an Original one (I think its 1938 dated, i cant read it really well and i will of course not remove it), thus it was never reprocessed. The only thing that was changed was that the National Decal was scratched a bit, but not very profoundly. If it had been really reissued it would surely have another coat of paint, that isnt as glossy but rather dull?

My question is, are there Pictures in the late War Period with helmets still in their glossy colour and with remains of their National Shields? If they are, would they have been probably stationed in more Peacefull regions like France, the Netherlands or Norway where ther would have been no need to repaint the helmets for combat? I personally cant imagine a german Easter Front Soldier running arround with the glossy Paint in 1943...

MAP
    ?

Just noting that I have seen many untouched and original condition helmets with 2 or more different names over the years.

This could be the same person on your helmet. My gut tells me that is not the case. But it's not an important issue
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)