Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

NEED HELP! Bought a new German Helmet, identifying Soldier?

Article about: So a few days ago, I picked up an M40 German helmet from a guy who had no idea what it was. He got it from his buddy in Scotland and he knew it was military, but that's about it. I guess you

?

Default NEED HELP! Bought a new German Helmet, identifying Soldier?

So a few days ago, I picked up an M40 German helmet from a guy who had no idea what it was. He got it from his buddy in Scotland and he knew it was military, but that's about it. I guess you could say I took advantage, but when you can buy a German helmet in this good of shape for $40, it's a once in a lifetime deal!

The helmet has been repainted 2 times on the outside. It looks like the helmet was repainted after WWII for use in the United Nations (Which is why you can see the UN blue underneath the most recent paint job), and it seems to me like someone repainted it in recent years to make it look as original as possible. The paint on the inside is 100% original and untouched, as well as the liner and chinstrap.

There is what looks to be a service number on the inside of the helmet along the brim. It appears to be etched in with a knife or something sharp. The number is "620 877 423" I am really hoping to find something about a possible soldier that did the engraving, and I have tried doing research myself but do not know the proper places to look. If anyone could help me out, that would mean the world to me! Here are some pictures

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NEED HELP! Bought a new German Helmet, identifying Soldier?
    P
    Many

That 'service number' looks like a SIN - Social Insurance
    Number to me. It was possibly a Norwegian lid at one
    time judging by the strap.
    Too bad it's been redone, but any German helmet
    for $40 is a pretty good deal.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes looks to be a Norwegian lid that has been repainted later , still a good buy at that price

Like the guys said its a Norwegian reissue helmet and looks to be the ones you got from unique imports that they sold back in the 70's for $19.95 they repainted them and you could pick what decals you wanted, the s/n looks to be a social security number, here's mine which I paid $60 and it has the original liner and chin strap that was dyed red/brown mine is a ns66

?

Should I sand it down and use proper paint and decals? The paint job is poor quality and scratches off easy, and the decals are incorrect. I might even be able to get down to the original paint? Good idea or not?

Quote by Army View Post
    Should I sand it down and use proper paint and decals? The paint job is poor quality and scratches off easy, and the decals are incorrect. I might even be able to get down to the original paint? Good idea or not?
    Not worth it IMO.
    Just keep it, (for $40.00), consider it an inexpensive lesson learned.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

If I am correct the Norwegian strip the original paint and repainted the whole helmet so only original paint is the Norwegian paint no original German paint will exist

?

Alright. I'll just leave it be. That's one mystery out of the way. Thanks! I've got a couple other helmets with names/ID marks on them that I want to research, but they are US helmets so no good to post them in this section.

Norwegian. You can clearly see the brass domed liner rivets around the edges.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "