Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?

Article about: I am new to collecting German helmets. I picked up a helmet at a gunshow today. I got it on a 1 for 1 trade for a gun that I paid \\$350 for a while ago and never shot. I have some questions a

Default Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?

I am new to collecting German helmets. I picked up a helmet at a gunshow today. I got it on a 1 for 1 trade for a gun that I paid $350 for a while ago and never shot. I have some questions about the helmet itself. I am pretty sure that it is an M40. It is an ET66 and the lot number is 4964 which is consistent with each other, I believe. I am positive that the decals are fake and applied later on in its life. The rivets that hold the line in place are missing. The head band on the inside is consistent with an M40 and is stamped 1943. What I am troubled about is that after I took the liner out I realized that it might have been repainted. Where one of the rivets came out on the outside there is a lighter shade of green paint. On the inside there appears to be paint drips/smears that have run down on the inside. The supposed name of the soldier that owned this is on top of the darker paint so that would mean that it is fake too if the darker paint is fake. Also, if the writing were real, what would "II/FJR3" mean anyways?

Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help with German Helmet- Is it repainted?
    P
    Many

Hi, I am not very knowledgable about helmets either, but I would agree that it looks like a repaint. Bummer. That being said the name would also be fake. Was the guy selling it have a bunch of other German items or was this just a one off? I think that the shell is legitimate though. Do you have the liner still?

?

I'm sure David "Realsteel" will chime in at some point !! Sit tight.. Welcome to the Forum ! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Sadly, even if the outside is the original paint, it has been so abused with fake decals / removed rivets / faked name & unit that it is worth less than the gun you never shot .....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

What was the gun?

MAP
    ?

Dan is 100% correct. The only positive is that the shell and remnants of the liner are real.

Not worth the $350.

But...welcome to the forum. We've all made similar mistakes and have a draw or closet full of our past indiscretions

Stick around and read through the threads and you will quickly gain a good basic education.

Next time post before you buy. I always say, there were millions of helmets produced so you will always have a chance to find a good one I your budget if you are patient.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Chin up. We've all been there when we began collecting. Keep it, one day you will pick it up and laugh.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Chin up. We've all been there when we began collecting. Keep it, one day you will pick it up and laugh.
    Great answer! Been there!

Yes he had a few other helmets and a lot of other seemingly legitimate militaria from other era/wars. The band has all the stamps to be legitimate and the liner is very wrong leather so I assume it is real too.

I was a 1963 Chinese SKS. I like the gun, but the gloss was sanded off before I got it and it is not exactly from a desirable era. Not to mention is was Chinese made instead of Russian made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast