Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need some opinions on my named Heer Helmet...

Article about: That's a good point Frank, like to see that closer. It could be from an initial lose fit, causing the leather to fray from wear and splaying. Thats what it looks like. I think it's just the

Default Re: Need some opinions on my named Heer Helmet...

very nice M42

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Nice M42, it's a ckl? Regarding the liner look for double bends in the 3 split pins. As for the liner band pins holding the leather look for the same thing and loose fitting leather. Could be factory as quality lessened as the war progressed, M42s have sometimes unusual characteristics not seen esp compared to M35s. The split pins could be loose from simple wear, that is very common and one thing I actually like to see if the pins appear untampered with. I would refrain from removing the liner or tightening anything however.

Good advise as always Doug.

?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jason, the liner feels as thick/thin as a couple other helmets I have (a couple Luftwaffe and one other Heer).

Doug, here are a couple photos of the rivet pins and liner band pins. There does not appear to be any double bending at all to the rivet pins. The pins all have very smooth arcs. The leather is nice and tight, and the liner pins (in my opinion) don't appear to be tampered with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heer-helmet8.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	359731

Name:	heer-helmet9.jpg 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	359732

Name:	heer-helmet10.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	359733

Doug... what is a "ckl", and how can I tell whether or not that is indeed what mine is?

Dzyner

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Doug... what is a "ckl", and how can I tell whether or not that is indeed what mine is?

Dzyner
    CKL mark of the factory that made the helmet. It should be marked with the maker code, as well as the size on the inside rear of the skirt.

Name:  Helmet Stampings.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  77.7 KB

Joe is correct, ckl is the manufacturer of the helmet, which should be marked in the places indicated.

I am glad the liner thickness feels the same. I ask because I have, at the moment, afew refurb shells with me for the show on Sunday from a friend and all the repo liners are a lot thicker than my originals.

?

I think thats the original liner to this lid, judging by the pics. Question about ckl answered already by another member (thank you).

?

Thanks again for all the great feedback guys. Regarding the maker stamp, it is indeed in the location mentioned, but impossible to read unfortunately. Sounds like everyone is sure its CKL anyway

A very nice M42 Heer. A helmet I have yet to throw some cash down on. In time! Good buy.

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jason, the liner feels as thick/thin as a couple other helmets I have (a couple Luftwaffe and one other Heer).

Doug, here are a couple photos of the rivet pins and liner band pins. There does not appear to be any double bending at all to the rivet pins. The pins all have very smooth arcs. The leather is nice and tight, and the liner pins (in my opinion) don't appear to be tampered with...

Name:	heer-helmet8.jpg 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	359731

Name:	heer-helmet9.jpg 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	359732

Name:	heer-helmet10.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	359733

Dzyner
    I do have concerns with the pins holding the leather to the band , never seen so much fluff under the rivets heads and I really mean never.
    One of the washers that hold the liner band in the shell also seems very bright (middle photo) and new that's also a no no. (unless the picture is deceiving)

I'm with Doug that loose rivets are an indicator of wear , they should never be fastened.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast