Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

New addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmet

Article about: No guys, he is right. It is a droop bill variation. It is a transitional helmet manufactured in the 30s, modeled after the m18, but with an M26 liner. These helmets were widely used by the A

Default Re: New addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmet

No guys, he is right. It is a droop bill variation. It is a transitional helmet manufactured in the 30s, modeled after the m18, but with an M26 liner. These helmets were widely used by the Allgemeine SS. I'm sure Doug has one or two or ten of these in their original SS configuration. This one was repainted and reissued to the Luftschutz. I'm not sure if they would have removed the SS decals and paint before repainting it or not..that is, if it ever was SS to begin with.

Corey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    No guys, he is right. It is a droop bill variation. It is a transitional helmet manufactured in the 30s, modeled after the m18, but with an M26 liner. These helmets were widely used by the Allgemeine SS. I'm sure Doug has one or two or ten of these in their original SS configuration. This one was repainted and reissued to the Luftschutz. I'm not sure if they would have removed the SS decals and paint before repainting it or not..that is, if it ever was SS to begin with.

Corey
    I do have one with the SS decal ,helmet is black it was my grand grandfathers helmet back in the 30Th.
    Otto

?

Could we see it, i'm still half convinced the one shown by Chris is more duck bill than droop, theres no significant droop

There are two variations of droop bill that I am aware of that were commercially produced. The differences, from what I can tell, has to do with the liner rivets (one is single side rivet, other is double side rivet), and the appearance of the "droop" (single rivet droop is steeper, double rivet slightly bends upward or is straight). There were probably other variations as well, since they are transitional helmets.

EDIT: and the rim around the ear is more curved on the single rivet droop bill.

New addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmetNew addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmet

New addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmetNew addition #2 lighweight m16 civic Luftschutz helmet

?

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    There are two variations of droop bill that I am aware of that were commercially produced. The differences, from what I can tell, has to do with the liner rivets (one is single side rivet, other is double side rivet), and the appearance of the "droop" (single rivet droop is steeper, double rivet slightly bends upward or is straight). There were probably other variations as well, since they are transitional helmets.

EDIT: and the rim around the ear is more curved on the single rivet droop bill.

Great info.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Chris, are you sure this is a droop bill, to me it looks like a duck bill, the droop bill has a very pronounced dip almost level with the curve of the flair and a forward sloping front to the dome, it might be the angle but place it on a solid flat surface , look along the flat and see if the bill drops almost to the level on the flat surface
    Hi Dave.
    Sorry for the late responce,it is a droop bill there is two models of this helmet one with a very strong curve to it and the one I posted with a very light one.
    chris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4