Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Noob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmet

Article about: Hi all. I'm rather new to helmet collecting and recently purchased myself a cheap M-1 helmet last month and now I plan on obtaining a German helmet for cheap as well(I hope so). My whole sea

Default Noob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmet

Hi all. I'm rather new to helmet collecting and recently purchased myself a cheap M-1 helmet last month and now I plan on obtaining a German helmet for cheap as well(I hope so).

My whole search area consist entirely of ebay listings btw.
    original LW german helmet M35 | eBay

Noob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmetNoob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmetNoob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmetNoob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmetNoob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmet

Seeing as how you are all the experts, I was wondering if you all can tell me if this is worth the $200 price tag.
    Last edited by Matt6767; 05-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Noob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Noob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmet

M35 DD luft in good relic condition - for $200 I say go for it!
    I'd have it my collection!
    Dan

?

I'd need better pics of that lufty decal...

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum! You have made an excellent choice in joining us! We aren't all "experts"... just students of history and this hobby. Plus, we have learned from experience ... (aka most of us have made some very expensive mistakes... )

Unless my eagle eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks like you have a relic M40 on your hands (rolled seam, stamped vents... although the rust around the vents may be deceiving me.... they could be separate pieces and that would make it an M35.) I would say that straight on, high quality pictures of the decals are required. I fear that they may be the reproduction type that come pre-aged.

I do not really know how the market is for relic lids... but if I were you, I'd save my money a little longer and get a much more solid example. My lufty M35 was only around $400.

Noob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmetNoob seeking advice/suggestions on first German helmet

Yes I suppose I could save more for a better helmet. I have already seen a few other helmets up for bidding. I'm going to see how the next few days turn out.

Its an M35 by the way.

Avoid ebay as it is a minefield for beginning collectors , buy your first helmet from a fellow collector. Check the ads here and on other forums.
    Buy a nice one and don't look for bargains.

But always post up before you buy. Very important.

Quote by Matt6767 View Post
    Yes I suppose I could save more for a better helmet. I have already seen a few other helmets up for bidding. I'm going to see how the next few days turn out.

Its an M35 by the way.
    Yeah, if you scroll up you can see that I was on the fence about whether or not it is an M35 or M40... sometimes rust around the vents can make it tricky.

I think you're halfway to a solid lid and a little more patience will pay off... especially if you're in the hobby for a while and amass some higher quality lids.

Welcome! Avoid eBay until you are experienced enough to know what to look for and what to avoid I have sold helmet shells on ebay and seen the same helmet pop back up with "authentic" liners put in and sold as a complete original example. Buy from a forum member or reputable dealer. And post all helmets, etc PRIOR to buying. Its easy to spend money, but not always easy to get it back (if not impossible) Good luck!