Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Normandy helmet legit?

Article about: Hi, I "talked" to the owner of the shop yesterday. The wire helmet was found directly out of a barn in Normandy - the wire on this helmet haven't been faked! Seller also mentioned

Default Re: Normandy helmet legit?

Hi,

I "talked" to the owner of the shop yesterday.

The wire helmet was found directly out of a barn in Normandy - the wire on this helmet haven't been faked!

Seller also mentioned that since his job is battlefield tour guide in Normandy, he would be very stupid to deliberately trying to sell something that is fake.
    ...if in any case that happened, is why he has placed the info regarding refund.

Seller also mentioned the feedback for the shop that is all genuine.

To the question, why this helmet has been in the shop so long? - he answer, it doesn't bother him how long time it takes to sell an item.
    It is not a business where he has to turn things over to stay in business, that's the difference, unlike some other dealers.

Regards
    Replace

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Normandy helmet legit?
    P
    Many

Helmet collecting 101: "Never buy the story, buy the helmet"

I can tell you right up front, because it is plainly obvious, that the rust on this helmet is not 70 years old.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Helmet collecting 101: "Never buy the story, buy the helmet"

I can tell you right up front, because it is plainly obvious, that the rust on this helmet is not 70 years old.
    I don't know this "helmet collecting 101" ...I am buying no story!

But with many german helmets and other TR-militaria there is a story associated to the item.
    ...regarding any item you can believe the story or not, but the story has been given.

I spend many hours with my detector.
    And when people ask to the relics I have found, I also tell a story about where and when I found this german relic.
    ...don't know if they believe the story I tell, but it is true and the only story I can give.

I think stories a supplements to the item, and never a reason to buy.

Regards
    Replace

?

Your spending your money not mine, your the one who has to be convinced not me. Remember this, it's been sitting a long time in his shop. Presumably your going to want to sell this at some point to another collector. Those who've answered here arent impressed with what they see, so how long will you have to wait to sell it, and presumably others will check it out first as well.

Good luck, but my advice is to stick to items that don't need explanation.

Hi,i'm afraid that I agree with the majority that this is a fake helmet(story or not). It is the THIRD helmet with this wire type I have seen in two months,and prior to that I had seen none at all in 30 years!! I suspect strongly that some joker is out and about with his back pack full of "stories" and fake helmets,peddleing his junk.I hope you get your refund my friend, Leon. P.S. Here is a picture of one of the other ones that recently turned up!!Normandy helmet legit?Normandy helmet legit?

Seller asked if was okay that he send the helmet to me for free, then I could examine the helmet.
    If I am not 100% happy with the helmet, I should just send it back on his expence.
    ...and if happy, we do business.

I think that is great service!

Helmet arrived at my house today.
    Here are some more pictures of the helmet.
    There is still some paint on the shell - what looks dark on the pictures is actually (dark)green.

I have tried pulling the wire a little to the side - see pictures
    ...seems clear to me that the wire has been on the helmet for quit some time - different colour under wire.

One the last picture - knot on wire has worn a recess in the shell.

When you stand with the helmet in the hands - it feels/looks good.

Regards
    Replace
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy helmet legit?   Normandy helmet legit?  

Normandy helmet legit?   Normandy helmet legit?  

His desperation speaks volumes IMO. I still agree with most others, post war added.

As put in my original post, with these new pictures i still think the rust looks too new.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    His desperation speaks volumes IMO. I still agree with most others, post war added.
    ...I still say - great service!

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    As put in my original post, with these new pictures i still think the rust looks too new.
    Metal that is not preserved or treated in any way(oil, lacquer...) will continue to rust.

This helmet is dry - it has not been preserved or treated at all.
    ...helmet was found in 2012.

Regards
    Replace

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast