Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Not sure about these..help appreciated

Article about: Having had an interest in Military history for many years I'm now (tentatively) moving into the realm of collecting. I've ordered a couple of reference books in the hope they'll act as a gui

Default Not sure about these..help appreciated

Having had an interest in Military history for many years I'm now (tentatively) moving into the realm of collecting. I've ordered a couple of reference books in the hope they'll act as a guide, but in the meantime I've been browsing around for any reasonably priced Third Reich helmets.

My first instinct when seeing the one detailed below (and excuse me if these are just amateur assumptions), is that firstly if it is an original, it has no doubt been re-painted post war. Secondly is the lining which looks way too new for 60 odd years old, so that's likely to be replaced. Another thing is there's no other info from the seller regarding serial numbers/stamps etc.

I'd actually be happy with a refurbished helmet with replacement liner as an initial inexpensive purchase (as long is the lid itself wasn't a reproduction). But I'm guessing here that if it looks like a fake, sounds like a fake...then it's probably a fake.

Any input would be much appreciated guys.

http://www.uk-militaria.com/shop/vie...h=38515&phqu=5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Not sure about these..help appreciated
    P
    Many

Default Re: Not sure about these..help appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

The shell itself is an original but everything else is fake. I would suggest buying Ken Niewiarowicz's book here: http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/index

It is a good beginner's guide to the German helmet. Also, please post pictures of anything you find. When the links are removed, broken, etc. the photos are lost, and therefore the usefulness of the thread is diminished.

Best regards,
    Mo

The weird angle of the photos, the look of the split pins and size of the vent hole have the look of a Spanish helmet. BUT, this may just be because of the angle of the photos. I'd be hesitant to buy without getting better photos, especially of the split pins and vents. The ET maker stamp looks suspicious to me. These are just my opinions.

Thanks for replies and info guys.

The Ken Niewiarowicz book looks essential reading, so I'll pick that up when I can. The associated website seems informative too. The refurbished helmets he has for sale reflect the same price the uk guy is offering (though the latter doesn't identify them as refurb).

Great links. Very impressed by the Collectors Guild site with its detailed descriptions and reasonable price ranges.

Does anyone have any links for UK based dealers? Ordering from the States is ok, but don't want to incur costly shipping and handling charges.