Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Od green textured m42

Article about: i just picked this up for about \\$60! Think i got a good deal? i really like the textured paint. marked ckl 62. let me know what you all think! ~Dean

?

Default Re: Od green textured m42

sweet! i just now updated my photo albums so look at them apples!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Od green textured m42
    P
    Many

The reason I assume it is postwar repaint is because of the wear of the paint around where the pins would be and on the inside of the flared edge. In the photo these places look to be bare silver metal and i have never seen a helmet with natural wear from the war being that worn down to pure unfinished metal and still be that shiny after 65 plus years of patina. So i assumed that within the last decade or two the helmet was stripped and repainted a few times by maybe a re-enactor with poor quality spray paint. For me it is a repaint but for you it is whatever you wish it to be. I'm happy you are happy with your helmet shell.

Good day

?

War time paint or post war reapaint, does it really matter. This Helmet shell has a history, He got it for a fair price even just for a shell. I think the best part of collecting is to have an item and be able to wonder where its been and why it is like it is today. You could be right, could have been repainted by a reenactor or it could have been a badly done feild job back in the 40's. I know that this forum is about authentic items and discussing their authenticity. But the helmet has a history of its own, and if the wear marks don't match known wear patterns then so be it, but a lot of different circumsatnces have come together over the years to make this particular shell what it is today. Call me a dreamer or a wanker, but I reckon he has got a sweet as shell!!!

?

Quote by qotd View Post
    War time paint or post war reapaint, does its really matter. This Helmet shell has a history, He got it for a fair price even just for a shell. I think the best part of collecting is to have an item and be able to wonder where its been and why it is like it is today. You could be right, could have been repainted by a reenactor or it could have been a badly done feild job back in the 40's. I know that this forum is about authentic items and discussing their authenticity. But the helmet has a history of its own, and if the wear marks don't match known wear patterns then so be it, but a lot of different circumsatnces have come together over the years to make this particular shell what it is today. Call me a dreamer or a wanker, but I reckon he has got a sweet as shell!!!
    AMEN,BROTHER! thats all that matters to me, if it a repaint at least it doesnt look too bad and at least it was repainted with factory colours and not some random colour that never existed back then. I really do appreciate all feedback from you guys. All critisizm is accepted!
    Last edited by Dean; 08-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.

?

Thats why I love this forum, so much depth of experience. I have a WW1 M16 german helmet with WW2 chicken wire on it.....some said it was dodgy, some said they had seen pics of soldiers in WW2 with it, one even said her would have taken it off. All opinions were greatly appreciated. Whos to say some bored German soldier who was issued this helemt didnt put the chicken wire on? Could have been done in the war, could have been done in the 70's for all i know, either way its on there, its perplexing and its part of the history of this nearly 90 year old helmet, I love it, looks tops and sits proudly on my shelf next to my original no doubt at all M40 single decal Luftwaffe helmet. As long as the person who has it in their hands and can look at it, smell it and go into the deal with their eyes open is happy with it.....go for it!!!!!

Than I apologize, I had the impression that this particular thread was concerned with the authenticity of the shell in every aspect. But now I understand that is not the case. Earlier in my collecting years I was regretful of many things I spent my hard earned money on so I am happy to see you happy with your purchase.

?

Well I think we can all agree that the shell is authentic, paint job......maybe be dodgy maybe not. I agree it is an unusual colour and not one I would expect given my limited knowledge, but I am not going to dismiss it out of hand.

?

Quote by Nathan5kdp View Post
    Than I apologize, I had the impression that this particular thread was concerned with the authenticity of the shell in every aspect. But now I understand that is not the case. Earlier in my collecting years I was regretful of many things I spent my hard earned money on so I am happy to see you happy with your purchase.
    please dont get confused my friend, this is a thread i made to get responses! And remember, i DiD say i want all feedback whether it is something i want to hear or not, and i really do respect your info. The point is, this is my first helmet, i paid less than $60 for it, and im happy even if it is a repaint..Thank you! ~Dean
    Last edited by Dean; 08-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

?

Well what do you guys think i should do to it? or should i leave it? if its a repaint, should i strip it and repaint it properly?

?

I don't reckon you got anything to lose by stripping it, repaint it, maybe get a liner for it and decals. Have some fun with it, restore it to your liking and go for a fair dinkum complete original next time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast