Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odd liner marking

Article about: I've been offered this helmet and I like the look of it for the asking since the seller does not know very much about the helmets, it is an M42, don't know the maker yet as he has not found

Default Odd liner marking

I've been offered this helmet and I like the look of it for the asking price since the seller does not know very much about helmets, it is an M42, don't know the maker yet as he has not found the stamps and they might be hidden beneath the paint, what has me curious right now is the marking in the liner leather on the inside "DRP 42" and the liner band is a DRP Schuberth Werk steel liner band from 1942 so it would match but I have never seen that marking on a leather before, if you have, and this turns out to be normal, I'd love to know, I know that "D.R.P." means "Deutsches Reichs-Patent" but shouldn't there be the usual " capital letter and a size number+ date of manufacture" ink stamp on there, though I have asked the seller to look for those markings as well, I will keep you posted on further discoveries, the helmet, by the way looks like a field grey M42 that was overpainted in some odd color, might just be the pictures but it almost looks like LS blue, but can't say for certain as of now and unfortunately the shell has been treated and now is shiny, I think , if I buy it I will look into removing that coat if possible to make it nice and opaque again.All in all if all turns out to be good the asking price of 175€ seems more than justified, for that price you couldn't even get the liner (if it is original, of course). Thank you for your input.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd liner marking   Odd liner marking  

Odd liner marking   Odd liner marking  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odd liner marking
    P
    Many

I think the liner is a repro. Better pics needed to confirm

D.

I have to say, if it turns out to be repro, it is the best one (apart from that odd ink stamp) I've yet to come across, usually they have the inner ring and springs blued and not glanvanised and the leaf springs painted gray and also they often do not have the stitching go up to the top of the liner tongue. But, who knows, could also be a repro. But as already stated apart form that stamp the liner ticks all the boxes, though it is a bit odd that the liner band is quite rusty in some places, though it is just very light rust and the springs do not appear to be rusted in any way, maybe they did not galvanise the liner band properly or something.. or the leather has been replaced.. Just pretty odd overall..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd liner marking   Odd liner marking  

Well, regardless, I opted out of the sale, the helmet by itself had been tampered with quite a lot and the bit with the liner did not help, I will rather save up for a nicer ND M42 or M35 that will all in all definitely be more collectable than some messed with M42 that has a questionable liner. Thank you very much, again, David.
    Luis

Just goes to show, as always, the devil is in the details

Whenever I see a rusty liner band...it arouses serious suspicion. I also don't like the "58" size font. They are making repros with the stitching up thru the tongue. Of course the tie string is bad...but that's not an issue. I would just let this one go.
    D.

Good to know,David. I mean, I already have let it pass. The seller has already put it up again as I can see. I'd like to know where to get those liners for restoration purposes obviously, but that will then always be restored and not some odd concoction sold as "original". Because the repros I've found so far are as I had already stated and this really seemed quite well made, apart from the weird rust on the liner band, but that was also a good point I have never seen a liner band that would corrode like that, well not an original one at least, just need to look to my left at my "saved" Q64 M40 and the liner in that rusty old bucket is still not as rusty as that one
    Luis

I am also very skeptical of that liner band. A better picture of the marking would be necessary. is there a circle all around the marking?
    The leather is 100% repro.

I'd say if the leather is repro so is the liner band too probably, I do think that it is in a circle but I am not sure, I have parted ways with the seller now anyway.

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    I'd say if the leather is repro so is the liner band too probably, I do think that it is in a circle but I am not sure, I have parted ways with the seller now anyway.
    Understood...however it is a discussion forum where many can learn. So if continuous questions arise that can be answered...the more informative it is. Some of us here are not into screaming one word replies such as "FAKE". Always nice to explain why.
    D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast