MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Old or new repaint ?

Article about: I just this M40 Helmet and it kind of baffles me. The inside paint is original. The liner is original but maybe replaced. The outside paint is brushed on over a brighter green with nothing u

Default Old or new repaint ?

I just this M40 Helmet and it kind of baffles me. The inside paint is original. The liner is original but maybe replaced. The outside paint is brushed on over a brighter green with nothing under that but steel. I see no decals or evidence of them. Is this a recent repaint or a wartime repaint. The shell is stamped ET66 and 316. It came with a very nice Early Fixed bail US helmet and a Nice original WWI French Helmet.

Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Old or new repaint ?
    P
    Many

Everything I see indicates post war repaint. The strap looks like a nice 1938 strap. The liner has been dyed and a sloppy job at that as it was brushed onto the liner band, inside dome has classic Norway shade of paint. hopefully the m1 is all original.

I would certainly say this is postwar overpainting. My feeling is the interior painting is that of a Norwegian refurb helmet- i.e refurbished for the Norwegian Army in the early postwar period.

Edit; I was beaten to it, but agree with the above.

It looks like you guys nailed it. THANKS! I did some searching for the Norwegian Helmets and they are a very close match. Here are a few pics of the M1

Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?Old or new repaint ?

Hi, the fella's have said it all, post war re-paint on a Norwegian issued German helmet. Leon.