Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on this M42 – Genuine? Value?

Article about: Hello, A friend has asked for my assistance in authenticating this helmet. I am not knowledgeable in this field and all I could offer is that it is an M42, and the liner and strap appear ori

Default Opinions on this M42 – Genuine? Value?

Hello,

A friend has asked for my assistance in authenticating this helmet. I am not knowledgeable in this field and all I could offer is that it is an M42, and the liner and strap appear original to the piece. The paint appears old and exhibits what looks like honest age. The decal on the left hand side has been painted over. Some scratches reveal that it is white. On the inside crown area there is what appears to be an ink maker’s mark. It was difficult to photograph and the resultant picture is weak, but you can just make out some text on the inside of an oval.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?   Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?  

Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?   Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?  

Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?   Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this M42 – Genuine?  Value?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions on this M42 – Genuine? Value?

A good original helmet .
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Looks good to me, its possibly a camo helmet. The stamp inside is whats called a dome stamp, this an inspection stamp whilst at the factory. The NS is the Factory and district ie Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke in the city of Schwertz, the 64 is the helmet shell size, and the no/ at the rear is the inspection no/, all in all , not a bad helmet, if you check, the liner may have a size stamp on the leather itself and the chin strap may have a date imprinted at the far end .

Thanks guys,

Any thoughts as to what type of decal lurks under that paint?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Can you get a good close-up of the decal under the paint and a good close-up of the initials ?
    Looks very promising. On that side would be a Heer decal.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Can you get a good close-up of the decal under the paint and a good close-up of the initials ?
    Looks very promising. On that side would be a Heer decal.
    I Thought the same thing!! May something great under their..

One warning , whatever anyone tells you don't remove the paint over the decal to see what it is , you'll kill the value (both historical and economic value).
    Besides it can only be a Heer decal anyway , pics enough of how that looks.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    One warning , whatever anyone tells you don't remove the paint over the decal to see what it is , you'll kill the value (both historical and economic value).
    Besides it can only be a Heer decal anyway , pics enough of how that looks.
    Words of Wisdom

I agree with everyone else. This is a nice, complete camo single decal Heer M42.

Thanks again guys for your knowledgeable input. Any thoughts as to market value?

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast