Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Opinions please

Article about: I have a helmet which looks great on the inside. Looks untouched and original to me. The lacing cord may not be ( looks like a shoelace ). It is marked DA223 in the rear and Q66 on the side.

Default Re: Opinions please

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    Well I finally got this done as far as I am going to go. It appears that a lot of the original paint was missing before It was painted black. The black enamel paint was a bitch to remove. he must have had 3 or 4 coats of the stuff. I can see that it is a more grey Feldgrau than green. This make me think it was not a Norwweigan helmet. I spent a lot of time around the decal area and there was only a bit left before it was re-painted black. I could also feel the aluminum oxide they used in the paint, it's quite rough. Now I need to decide if I am going to re-paint it or not. There is enough paint left to do a match on the color. I am never going to sell it as it will only be displayed.Attachment 323851Attachment 323852
    Well we have been there before with such topics , it is not the original color that you brought back so as representative piece it is useless.
    In my opinion the historical value hasn't changed from when it was black painted with stickers.

I have seen so many people here trying to find a treasure under post war paint that it seems to have become a hobby all onto itself.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions please

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    That's not bad actually mate, and a bit of decal left too. I don't know what I'd do, probably leave it as it is. Maybe put it outside for a few weeks to develop a bit of patina. If you were going to repaint it you would be best stripping it down to the steel, and I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

I agree it is a ton better than the start

By the way I think it is a Police helmet, can you see remains of a second decal? The colour is right too. Are you 100% sure the lot nr is DA223? The lot nr database at GHW has a Q66 M40 DN223 as a double decal police. None of the lots begin DA.
    Good research you've done. Looking at the number closer I can see that it is a DN223. Part of the N was not punched so it looked like a A. I found no sign of a decal on the other side but the paint was really thick there also. Did the police use a grey feldgrau color? I think it looks better but I agree with it not being much of a historical piece any longer. I may try to age it a bit first but I'm still undecided which way to go. Thanks for all of your opinions.

Burt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3