Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions, please! SS single decal M40

Article about: I've been offered a single decal Quist Q64 SS helmet that I'd like to get the group's opinion on. The helmet itself looks perfectly genuine, but I'm 99.999% sure it's been refinished to look

Default Opinions, please! SS single decal M40

I've been offered a single decal Quist Q64 SS helmet that I'd like to get the group's opinion on. The helmet itself looks perfectly genuine, but I'm 99.999% sure it's been refinished to look like an SS helmet. The SS "decal" in particular worries me, as it looks painted on. Still, the seller's asking price is quite reasonable, and there's an infinitesimally tiny chance that this "SS" helmet could be the real deal, and so I'd be grateful if you'd share your thoughts about it with me:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions, please! SS single decal M40
    P
    Many

The decal is a dud ( it does look painted). It's also a rear marked Q which should not have a decal.

Thank you, Blackdog. This is what I expected, but wanted to be sure.

I presume this helmet would originally have been field gray?

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    The decal is a dud ( it does look painted). It's also a rear marked Q which should not have a decal.
    Nothing more to say! This is enough to tell you to avoid this one.
    Nick

Yup, DN500 series Q helmet, far too late in the war to even have a chance of having a factory applied decal.

Luis
    Last edited by PotatoDigger; 11-11-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Another perfectly good ND M40 ruined with a dumb SS decal...
    Luis
    It is too bad, about the decal. Is there anything else wrong with the helmet? The liner, chin strap and even the rough textured paint on the shell look okay to my eye. As I mentioned, the seller’s asking price is quite reasonable, and so I’m thinking about using this one as the basis of a restoration...

Both liner and chinstrap look like modern reproductions to me. There's no wear at all to the chinstrap, or to the liner where it folds over the band.

An authentic liner and chinstrap in one of my lids. This one didn't see much use, but the wear to the components is still very evident. Note the rubbing to the liner, where it wraps over the edge of the band.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by Hallibag View Post
    It is too bad, about the decal. Is there anything else wrong with the helmet? The liner, chin strap and even the rough textured paint on the shell look okay to my eye. As I mentioned, the seller’s asking price is quite reasonable, and so I’m thinking about using this one as the basis of a restoration...
    Of course the price is reasonable there is nothing authentic on this helmet , liner and strap are also reproduction and the paint for me is also post war only the steel is good.

Okay, thank you all for your replies.