Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

'Org Todt' helmet

Article about: I came across this a few days ago, I thought it was interesting (though I didn't buy it). At the time of seeing it, I had never seen or heard of this organisation, and only knew that 'Todt'

Default 'Org Todt' helmet

I came across this a few days ago, I thought it was interesting (though I didn't buy it). At the time of seeing it, I had never seen or heard of this organisation, and only knew that 'Todt' means 'Dead', so I was a little confused! It seemed like some weird fantasy decal, except to me it looks to be certainly genuine. I went and looked it up, and found out about the organisation named after Fritz Todt (Great name, eh?). The 'Dead Organisation' next to a Swastika has an amusing sense of appropriateness about it now. Anyhow, I would like to know more about this helmet- I can't even identify the helmet pattern, it looks like a hybrid of a lightweight helmet and a transitional. Who would have been wearing this, and in what situations? And is it particularly rare or valuable? Are these decals found on many helmet types? It's definitely new to me. It was beat up, but an interesting helmet. I look forward to hearing anything you can add about it. Apologies for the less-than-brilliant pictures.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Org Todt' helmet   'Org Todt' helmet  

'Org Todt' helmet   'Org Todt' helmet  

'Org Todt' helmet   'Org Todt' helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Org Todt' helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: 'Org Todt' helmet

Looks like post-war east german fire helmet made of early fiberglass.

I would steer clear of this one. The decal is a reproduction. Todt decals do not have a rounded bottom and are usually much thinner. Fakes abound.

regards,

Corey

meyle77, I guess that would explain why I can't identify it with any Third Reich helmet patterns! I figured that this infamous Stahlhelm form would have been discontinued post war though, so that's interesting.

Corey, I was so convinced it was genuine simply because of the ageing, which looks good to me- so I'm genuinely surprised to hear that. Having said that, I have no idea on how it compares to known originals. By the way on an unrelated note, the Feuerschutzpolizei helmet I purchased from you is still one of my favourite display pieces in my collection! Hope yours is coming along well.

Thanks for the replies.

Mat

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Looks like post-war east german fire helmet made of early fiberglass.
    I disagree, the shell, liner and paint are all TR period. The decal is suspect, but at the right price I would buy it anyway. I just like these light weight Himmler style shells with the screen vents, but that is just me I guess. Jim G.

I agree with Jim, the helmet is a transitional type often called the 'Austrian Screened Vent' type. The Todt decal did have a rounded bottom, and looked like the one above, but whether it's real or not is another question. I've never seen this combination of helmet and decal before, only an M35 with the above decal.

It should be noted that a rash of faked Todt helmets entered the market in the late 70's early 80's emanating out of Central Europe. It is said that the fakes are hard to spot, and the conscentii in the States appears to think that only helmets that have been in collections since the early 70's and before, unless they have indisputable provenance, are actually genuine within reasonable doubt.

A difficult one.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Have to agree with Jim, generally the helmet is a nice period piece, but may well have been spoilt by the addition of a round bottom fake Todt decal, if this was a totally genuine piece it would be a rarity as there is a lot of controversy over these decals

Is the helmet in question metal or fiberglass ?

Here is an original Organization Todt helmet from the collection of Mr. Niewiarowicz. He believes this is the only Todt decal which consistently hits on all points regarding authenticity. This one is placed on an M42. Notice the pointed bottom

Regards,

Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Org Todt' helmet   'Org Todt' helmet  

Here are some East German fire helmets - Random helmets and hats

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast