Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Original Snow Camo?

Article about: If you say its fake, then I believe you guys, I just wanted to be100% sure. Ill save my money for a good helmet, thank you for all the help .

?

Default Re: Original Snow Camo?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Points duly noted and taken, Doug It's far too easy to have a superficial look at these cheaper relics and thereby missing the obvious red flags.... question; was there ever the need for liner band replacements out in the field or were the liner bands more or less permanently fixed until an eventual factory reissue of the shell ?
    Liners and linerbands were often field and depot replaced. Cheers
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

No disrespect, but are you guys POSITIVE? I am most certainly not an expert, but id hate to pass up a helmet like this INCASE it is real. I do realize what you point out though, like I said, no disrespect.

Perhaps it may be one of those rare or unusual items.

I'm certainly with Doug on this one.. Camo paint inside the dome is imo a bad sign, coupled with no wear around the rivet holes, I'd pass..

We can always speculate as to why this is the case, but not knowing for sure when this helmet was painted, would kill the enjoyment for me.. Helmets weren't camouflaged painted with the liner out, or at least, I have never seen it..

Good luck with whatever you choose to do..

Josh

?

GP you have to look at the obvious in everything, not just this hobby, it doesnt matter how much you know about helmets, but most collectors , know certain things, as indeed you do, so you know that by rights there should be three small different coloured round holes where the liner pins would be because 99.9% of the time helmets like this would have been whitewashed with a brush or if at a depot, spray painted, they wouldnt take the liners out to do this because of the time constraints involved, the fact remains that all three holes have been overpainted and some of the paint has seeped inside, this could happen quite easily with the vent holes but not when a liner pin is fully placed tightly against the metal, then you have to think why is there no wear around the holes, even if there was the remotest chance that the pins were out when painted, they would have been replaced and over time wear marks would be apparent but there is none, please dont talk yourself into a bad buy , there are two things to take into consideration here, one, the opinions already given, two, this things on E-bay where fakes have become the norm so extra care should be taken,
    good luck Dave

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    General Patton, I would pass on this one. Winter camo "paint" is inside the interior of the right rivet hole and inside the shell where the liner band would have been, plus there is no wear where the rivets would have been and either rubbed off the paint or not been painted white in the first place.

This is a rusted out helmet that has been painted over and dirtied to get a better buck from something that is near worthless.

Look closer gentlemen! ;-)
    Wise advice and a keen eye as usual Doug !! Look for those small details even on a lid like this that give it away !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by General Patton View Post
    No disrespect, but are you guys POSITIVE? I am most certainly not an expert, but id hate to pass up a helmet like this INCASE it is real. I do realize what you point out though, like I said, no disrespect.
    Advice has been given GP whether you choose to follow it is your decision , i myself collect Relic Helmets usually just from Estonia found by myself or people i know but i do like to pick up White camo's if i can so usually i might be bidding against you on this one but have no fear it's all yours !!! As they say on Dragons den " I'm out "
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

No disrespect, but are you guys POSITIVE?
    Yes. 100%.

?

Perhaps it may be one of those rare or unusual items.
    No, it is a fake winter camo job.

Talking yourself into it won't make it real.

Your best to walk away from it and save your money for something that is real.

Listen to Doug, if anyone know what to look for its him

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast