Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original WW2 German helmet?

Article about: Thank you guys very much, all of you, I often find my self jumping the gun. I will wait to buy a good helmet. Instead I will get some books (that sounds nerdy) on helmets. Before I do, what

Default Original WW2 German helmet?

hello everybody, as you all know Ive been wanting a ww2 stahlhelm.I was burned on the last one which turned out to be fake. However I found this new helmet on Ebay and was hoping you guys could save me or tell me whether this one is authentic. I learned my lesson and wait your guys's approval. the sooner the better please! Thank you

PS I have no idea how to post the pictures so I will have the link below:
    WWII WW2 Original M35 German Helmet - eBay (item 190514679662 end time Mar-27-11 15:45:33 PDT)

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original WW2 German helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Original WW2 German helmet?

Hi General Patton,

In the description it reads "The finish to the helmet is not original and the paint has been somewhat removed."

The liner also appears to have been dyed. The shell itself seems OK.

I'd recommend saving that money and just building up the funds for a nicer original "untouched" helmet with original paint from a dealer or a forum sale section (somewhere other than ebay, it is a minefield). Even $50 or $100 a week and you'll have the money to buy one that you and everyone else knows is the real deal in no time at all!

As always ask for advice before you make any decisions though!

Good luck!

-Josh

Your right, im 16 so I do not have the luxury of too much income, however I should save my money. Thank you for pointing out the liner and paint job, I appreciate it. Ill keep looking!

Ill always post before I buy!

?

To me this looks like a Norwegian reissue with the dyed leather liner, and as the description says the paint has been messed with, ie sanded, the chin strap imo isnt original, but others may be more certain on this, the liner pins should really match dates, the liner string isnt original to the helmet and looks too new to be original, E-bay isnt the best place to source an original untouched helmet

Quote by davejb View Post
    To me this looks like a Norwegian reissue with the dyed leather liner, and as the description says the paint has been messed with, ie sanded, the chin strap imo isnt original, but others may be more certain on this, the liner pins should really match dates, the liner string isnt original to the helmet and looks too new to be original, E-bay isnt the best place to source an original untouched helmet
    I agree but liner looks repro to me.

ERIC

This helmet is a Norwegian refurb.

My advice to you would be to save your money, buy a good helmet from a reputable dealer or collector, and avoid e-bay at all costs! Most of the helmets on there are fakes, and the real ones go for dealer prices anyway.

?

GP, before heading out to buy a helmet of any sort its best to have some good reference material, use what limited money you have to buy some good books on the subject, they are a bit pricey but they will help to save you money and a lot of heartache, go to as many militaria fairs as you can, speak to good honest dealers and handle as many helmets as you can, get the feel and look of them, even smell them, helmets of period age have a distinct odour about them thats pretty hard to copy, newly painted helmets will have that fresh paint smell that can last for a couple of years, as with leather that too can have its own period smell, you might look odd doing it but sellers will think twice before stiffing you if you look like you know whats what, even take your books with you to look at makers marks , match decals which is a difficult subject, that comes with many yrs of studying, there is no substitute for knowledge plus its enjoyable, happy collecting

Quote by davejb View Post
    GP, before heading out to buy a helmet of any sort its best to have some good reference material, use what limited money you have to buy some good books on the subject, they are a bit pricey but they will help to save you money and a lot of heartache, go to as many militaria fairs as you can, speak to good honest dealers and handle as many helmets as you can, get the feel and look of them, even smell them, helmets of period age have a distinct odour about them thats pretty hard to copy, newly painted helmets will have that fresh paint smell that can last for a couple of years, as with leather that too can have its own period smell, you might look odd doing it but sellers will think twice before stiffing you if you look like you know whats what, even take your books with you to look at makers marks , match decals which is a difficult subject, that comes with many yrs of studying, there is no substitute for knowledge plus its enjoyable, happy collecting
    And that smell is among the sweetest one can ever experience...

Even though I'm a relative newbie, I have found that after a while of obsessively studying genuine helmets, learning about lot numbers and finding which makers made helmets for which branches of the Wehrmacht (and then studying it all again, over and over) you just get to know what a fake looks like pretty much straight away.. unless its a very good fake, which may require closer attention.There is a hell of a lot to take in, but it's worth every hour. As Dave has said, don't throw money at a lid that you want to believe is the real deal. Take a while studying and if you can find a trusted source get your hands on a salty, but real one. That way you can get an idea of all the elements which will help you to authenticate a genuine lid... and don't forget.. have a good old sniff on it too. It sounds wrong but its just so right. Enjoy the hobby, if you can call it that... more like total obsession!

Also, I have found that if you take a break from the hobby for a while it's very easy for all the knowledge you have gained to get a bit fuzzy. I lost my job last year and had to put it all on hold for the last 6 months and since returning to it have found that I am having to re-learn a lot of what I had learned before. So keep at it. Don't do what I did and get despondent and lazy. I'm paying for it now in study time. Keep at it, and if you have any doubts about a lid... well that's what this forum is for!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast