Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet

Article about: I was not sure whether to post this helmet under the WWI Imperial section or this section. Since it would have been likely used during WWII I decided to post it here. Here we have a nice M17

Default Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet

I was not sure whether to post this helmet under the WWI Imperial section or this section.
    Since it would have been likely used during WWII I decided to post it here.
    Here we have a nice M17 Transitional Helmet. It is clearly a former DD helmet as you can see on the wearer's right side that the decal was scraped off.
    Nice Heer decal.
    Liner and chinstrap are mostly present.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated on the helmet.
    Also there is a number "57" dome stamp.
    Any thoughts on what that could mean?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet   Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet  

Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet   Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet  

Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet   Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Out of the woodwork m17 transitional former dd helmet
    P
    Many

?

Period refurbished shell marked for the required liner size?

MAP
    ?

Close up of the decal? Any Maker marks on the shell.

Probably a size 66 from the lugs. The 57 is the liner size. Not overly familiar with WW1 helmet to liner sizes but I think size 64 was a liner 57 and 66 was size 58.

It's not an M17. But an M18
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Would like to know the maker Anton. The transition from visor to the rear skirt is interesting. A nice example.

Most would call this a M18, due to the lack of rivets for the chinstrap.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thank you for your input.
    As for the decal I can try to post some close ups later tonight but I really do not have any concerns.
    As for the maker mark, I looked on the skirt and couldn’t find one.
    Would it be the same place as on an M40?
    Where exactly should I look?

?

hi ... top reisue M18 army helmet ... the 57 inside indicates the size ...

Nice helmet!
    As for the marking, it should be in the usual place, sometimes on these WWI era helmets the markings can be hard to make out due to weak strikes or thick paint.
    Luis

MAP
    ?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Thank you for your input.
    As for the decal I can try to post some close ups later tonight but I really do not have any concerns.
    As for the maker mark, I looked on the skirt and couldn’t find one.
    Would it be the same place as on an M40?
    Where exactly should I look?
    Sometimes harder to find in these WW1 shells than on WW2 examples. Should be in the same area. The size stamping in the inside dome is there because a repaint during its life often obscures the original maker and size stamping

I'm not necessarily concerned about the decal but thought you would be interested in knowing who made it. Always nice to know exactly what you have in your collection....or if you are flipping it, the info would make it more interesting.....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think that it is a nice, solid helmet. I wish I had it in my modest collection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast