Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Partial decal SS helmet ?

Article about: I have this helmet sitting around an M-40 I believe. It has a painted over SS decal partial showing. Not a helmet collector the liner is size 56. The skirt is marked ET64 on the side, and th

Default Partial decal SS helmet ?

I have this helmet sitting around an M-40 I believe. It has a painted over SS decal partial showing. Not a helmet collector the liner is size 56. The skirt is marked ET64 on the side, and the rear of the skirt is marked 1061.

Thank you for your time
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Partial decal SS helmet ?   Partial decal SS helmet ?  

Partial decal SS helmet ?   Partial decal SS helmet ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Partial decal SS helmet ?
    P
    Many

Hi Humble,
    Sorry to say but this is a made-up cammo job with little age to the finish IMO. The patina is odd and that decal "peeking out" proves it - it looks like a sticker!!

Has it been 'sitting around' for long and can you get a refund ......... quick.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

The liner looks replaced to me

Could you take more pictures of the decal corner? I don't know if it's good or not but the experts here will and they will ask

Hello Dan . I did UV test the threading of the liner it was dead under the black light. I inspected the decal Its rather ratty

Here's a closer look at the decal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Partial decal SS helmet ?  

I hope the closer view helped

OK, I should qualify my opinion rather than just bagging it ..... sorry.

At the very least the liner / strap seems too clean and the marks in the photos are odd ( chemical ageing?? ) Maybe it has been out? and for me it does not look as grubby as the outside is worn. That is red flag #1 for me.
    Then there seems ( from my view of the photos at least ) a paint "wash" effect that would have worn away if done 70 years ago - seems to be more noticeable on the green.
    Then the tease of a corner of the decal to me is telling of someone who doesn't want to give away that it is a copy but still 'sex' up the helmet.

I would truly love to be wrong for your sake but after seeing so many good faux paint jobs I've become cold & cynical of all cammos - ESPECIALLY SS!

Regards, Dan

edit - the construction of the decal is wrong I think? More expert than I will give you a better answer.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you for your time Dan . I've had it a while. Just something I picked up along the way.
    I brought it home after I got it , and noticed the decal. The fellow I bought it from didn't know a decal was under the paint partially out.

What is that strange material on the helmet? I have yet to have ever seen a period pic of a helmet in wear with this "pattern"...

There is a gun/collectible show in November. I guess I can take it to a dealer for them to look at. They may know?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast