Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Plain Jane M42 (EF 64) for review

Article about: Hi all, looking at this no decal (EF 64, Lot 1477) M42 that appears to be in good condition. If anyone can see any red flags I'd be grateful if you'd let me know! Regards, Paul

?

You can't go wrong with that helmet friend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Hi all, appreciate the feedback.

Yes, it started at $550, when it dropped to $500 I went for it. I'm not a volume helmet buyer (my main interest is Luftwaffe uniforms/ headgear), but I've been looking for a 'Plain Jane' M42 in good condition for a while so I don't mind paying a little extra. Also, it's my first EF helmet so it's nice to have a variation. I understand that EF was the smallest of the helmet producers so I suppose they are not so common?

Is there a Luftwaffe connection? Well, as Ken Niewiarowicz speculates in his book "Germany's Combat helmets", after the August 1943 decal drop very few no-decal Luftwaffe helmets were produced before they ceased altogether. He contends that it is possible that the no-decal grey-green helmets became a 'General issue' helmet, to include the Luftwaffe too. I suppose if you consider that the Army took over the Luftwaffe Field Divisions from November 1943 it might make sense that at least the Field Divisions used them? Well, that's my excuse anyway!

Best regards, Paul

MAP
    ?

Nice helmet. I say it's unissued but I think most of those didn't have a chin strap. Saw it for sale and was tempted myself

While not a "steal", if it is going to be in your collection for a while it is fine IMO. Hard to find nice minty lids like this and the theory is that ND M42 are getting harder to find as people slap SS decals on them.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I had this beautiful m42 ND for sale at the sos. No one even made an offer to my asking price. It was priced a little high as I was willing to bring it home. But it is minty and named on the liner. Nice strap and all. Oh well lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1308.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	944251

Name:	DSC_1314.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	944252

Name:	DSC_1317.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	944253

Name:	DSC_1323.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	944254

MAP
    ?

Quote by MD Helmets View Post
    I had a beautiful m42 ND for sale at the sos. No one even made an offer to my asking price. It was prices a little high as I was willing to bring it home. But it was minty and named on the liner. Nice strap and all. Oh well lol.
    Their loss Todd. IMHO, these are under rated lids. And missing from my own collection...

Yours is a beaut! Too bad I wasn't at the show!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks, Michael. Definitely try to come to the show next year. You wont be disappointed. Try to make it to the MAX in October. It's a little closer to you, not quite as big and the gentleman's club is better than the one near the SOS, LOL

MAP
    ?

Max has been the same weekend as my sons soccer tournament for the last 3 years. Hopefully different this year! Would much rather be inside looking at helmet than outside in the cold wet rain for 3 days straight

i like these late war lids

Good thing about the plain Jane on any model is they can be used for any branch of service display

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12