Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police Helmet ?

Article about: Hi, Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish that is widely used in antique restoration and museum curation. I've used it and it is effective - it leaves a matt shine but do

Default Re: Police Helmet ?

Hi, Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish that is widely used in antique restoration and museum curation. I've used it and it is effective - it leaves a matt shine but doesn't leave fingerprints. Difficult to find in Australia but always on Ebay.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Helmet ?
    P
    Many

?

I did actually find it upside down in the bottom of a tea chest, in a garage. It may well have sat in rainwater at some point in there.

?

Quote by tbk0000 View Post
    Hi, Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish that is widely used in antique restoration and museum curation. I've used it and it is effective - it leaves a matt shine but doesn't leave fingerprints. Difficult to find in Australia but always on Ebay.
    Thanks mate, it s safe to apply over decals? Can it be used on leather? And do you only use it on rusty services or if you had a decent helmet with no rust, just a bit of age, would you use it on that??? I'm guess what I am asking is once applied does it give a cleaned up appearance....

?

I'd just take off the heavy rusting by rubbing it with a cloth towel, and rub it down with some WD40 to keep it from rusting further...

but that's my 2 cents, doesn't leave a shiny finish to it or anything...

?

Wd40, is not the best thing for helmets,neither is any kind of oil, it softens the paintwork and can ruin decals, keep to a wax, it seals and wont allow moisture or air into the metal, the two causes of rust

Renaissance wax is used by museums to conserve all sorts of things - its not oily and has a satin finish - I've only used it on lightly rusted metal with thin paint that needed consrvation to avoid flaking or further rusting. Check the makers site for more details - I think it can be used on almost anything. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2