Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police helmet with wire cover

Article about: Someone close to me purchased this helmet and i wanted to show it and get opinions. I am paranoid because of how good the fakes look and I know nothing about helmets.....here it is.

Default Re: Police helmet with wire cover

No good, from what I've learnt on here the NP decal has the white circle too close to the top of the shield making it a fake.

Phill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police helmet with wire cover
    P
    Many

Guess it depends on where it was bought as well, yes there are tell-tale markers that members here spot straight away- fresh paint, wrong/repro decals, wire that fits too tightly, but what of where was this purchased? Are you getting this directly form a veteran or someone a bit too pressure sale-based?

Everyone here can help you determine "after" you bought the item if it is real or fake but the source of where you are to purchase it matters a lot and should red flag the helmet or military item. Before you spend your hard earned $$ it's good to consider the source first.

I hit a lot of fleamarkets and walk a wide berth around "military dealers", they always seem to have wide selection of the most desirable and hard to get helmets...that are usually too good to be true (a quick inspection will reveal the fake/rerpo qualities). Army/Navy stores get this sort of thing as well, also Ebay is awash in real and fake. Another bad place is gun shows, there is a fair mix of repros or repaints on the tables.

I have a system as to how, where and what I buy. I look at a lot of real helmets- to get a feel even a smell (helmets of age have a distinct smell- not of new paint or fresh leather), and mind you I am new to German helmets as of this year but I use the accumulated knowledge of my US military gear towards German helmets- but since I know the waters are deep I signed up here to learn even more, ask questions and such.

So your 1st instinct that this may be too good to be true is something to listen to, also who is selling this- a older woman at a garage sale or a high pressure car sales man type- ha!
    Plus all the details that the fine folks here point out, good luck with your collecting- enjoy!

*In all of the places I have mentioned I did find diamonds in the rough- but that is because the people selling did not know what they had but I did, just use caution and educate your self, the more you know on the subject at hand the more confident you will feel in your purchase/s

Good points to note, thanks for that.

Just a word of caution though, about a year ago there was a thread on this forum where a member spoke of being taken to the cleaners by a 'nice little old lady'. Apparantly she told a wonderful story of husbands/brothers etc who were vets and our member bought some items which proved to be dodgy as a 3 dollar bill!

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Good points to note, thanks for that.

Just a word of caution though, about a year ago there was a thread on this forum where a member spoke of being taken to the cleaners by a 'nice little old lady'. Apparantly she told a wonderful story of husbands/brothers etc who were vets and our member bought some items which proved to be dodgy as a 3 dollar bill!
    Good points Glenn the old person / get your grandad or grandma to sell something trick is not entirely uncommon !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Oh I know, I agree- it happens- but that's where you have to use your head- if you saw this sweet little old lady pushing a helmet like this you'd not pay top dollar I'm sure.

Just trying to head off the fakes at a earlier stage in the game because if you are here asking questions of a "questionable" helmet you had bought, well it's kinda too late already.

?

This helmet was purchased off a dealer of thirty years which the person who purchased it took his word that it was 100% original and we were loyal customers which kind of hurts worse now not knowing who to trust........I know you would all say trust no one but yourself and to do your studying but when you are starting out and haven't seen much of the real thing it is hard to distinguish real from fake. There are more fakes on the market than originals which makes collecting the real thing close to impossible as the years pass. thanks everyone for all your advice/input. Jay

Perhaps it is not too late to take it back and get a refund.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

there is no exterior wear of the ( Chicken Wire On the Helmet?) No abrasions on the surface of helmet itself and the wire is too close to put any floiage on it.
    the helmet appears Original ( the liner is Questionable as well as the field police Decal ) the paint is Questionable also
    better photographs are needed (close ups)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2