Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polizei M40 DD helmet

Article about: Morning gents, been having a little look at this one, SE66 2197. I think it is ok although the paint work appears a bit distorted due to some surface issues. The seller states there is remai

Default Polizei M40 DD helmet

Morning gents, been having a little look at this one, SE66 2197. I think it is ok although the paint work appears a bit distorted due to some surface issues. The seller states there is remains of a grey over paint on the shell, but I cannot tell for sure. The decals look fine and the liner appears un-messed with, nice tight pins etc. The seller says the inside was painted black? Maybe a period anti-glare measure or is it a sign of some post war meddling? Anyway, as ever your thoughts are appreciated. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polizei M40 DD helmet   Polizei M40 DD helmet  

Polizei M40 DD helmet   Polizei M40 DD helmet  

Polizei M40 DD helmet   Polizei M40 DD helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polizei M40 DD helmet
    P
    Many

I think you are both right, appears the helmet is all original and at some point was covered in a dark paint which was later scrubbed off. Perhaps the paint on the underskirt is the same paint that at one time covered the shell. It is a super helmet apart from that.

Paint stripper may have been used.

"OUCH" !! Leon, this hurts ! Decals are just lovely. First I was hoping it was maybe whitewash removal, but no, someone messed it up post war. I see the inner skirt brushed with a dark paint...??
    IMO, I would hold off if you were thinking of buying it. No natural patina left, these M40 SE are common enough to find in nice condition.

What a shame !

The paintwork is certainly an issue with this lid, the exterior looks like it has been scrubbed back to the bare steel in places and what with the black/dark paint? on the inside, or could be just the lighting, nevertheless that looks scrubbed as well.

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    The paintwork is certainly an issue with this lid, the exterior looks like it has been scrubbed back to the bare steel in places and what with the black/dark paint? on the inside, or could be just the lighting, nevertheless that looks scrubbed as well.
    Hi, thanks for the input fella's, the "looks like bare steel" comment was what I was hoping someone else would say as that was my thought on some of the shells surface! Grey over paint or white wash residue I can happily accept, but this seems more like a completely over the top stripping. A shame, as you say David, the decals are nice, but I won't be going for this one as it stands. Leon.