Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible Fake?

Article about: Hello, There is again a Luftwaffe Helmet for Sale, the shell and paint seem to be original, but i think the decal might be an fake. Any Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Adravo

Default Possible Fake?

Hello,
    There is a Luftwaffe M40 Quist produced Helmet for Sale, the shell and paint seem to be original, but i think the decal might be an fake.

There is no leather remaing of the liner, only the ring, and what seems to be a modern construction so you can still wear it.
    I´m not that experienced, and because the decal is missing major parts of the head and claws, its quite difficult to compare it with other decals.
    In my Opinion its probably the "better" fake decal, but i would like second opinions.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Adravor

Possible Fake? Possible Fake?Possible Fake?Possible Fake? Possible Fake?Possible Fake? Possible Fake?

I have tried to compare the decals, by overlaying the known Fakes and Originals from germanhelmetvault over the decal on this helmet:

The Quist Type Decal:
    Possible Fake?

Over each other:
    Possible Fake?

The most notable difference are the shadows on the right wing, but they fit quite good on top of each other, its possible the sizes dont match completly bc. of the angle the decal was applied.

The ET Type Decal:

Over each other:

Possible Fake?

But the "Improved Fake" and the Decal on the Helmet also Match quite good:

Possible Fake?

Possible Fake?
    Last edited by Adravor; 11-12-2019 at 06:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible Fake?
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Looks like a Chinese fake to me, terrible vent hole.
    But please wait for more opinions.

Quote by CBH View Post
    Looks like a Chinese fake to me, terrible vent hole.
    But please wait for more opinions.
    Glad to see that it isn't just me. Sometimes I feel a bit paranoid but I took one look at the vent and thought "I don't like that"
    I'm no expert but that's two bad reactions to the same feature
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

M38
    ?

This helmet looks okay to me, with the exception of the liner of course. A typical Quist made LW helmet with the decal slightly misapplied, a common characteristic of Luft decals. A good close up of the decal would help though. Just my opinion.......

Cheers,
    Terry

Mhm... the Vent hole does look weird, but it might be a characteristic of the Q shells? This one M40 SD HEER LID (Quist) has a quite similar "weird looking" vent hole for example.
    Thank you for your Opinions!

I can tell you here and now that these overlay tricks won't help you learning decals.
    You should compare the two , put the fake and this one right next to each other. Learn to spot the differences. Keep at it and it will click eventually.
    Posting a decal close-up of the helmet is key like Terry already mentioned and I agree looks like a good Q , just look at the whole picture , stamps (maker and lot) , paint not just the vent hole.

I believe the shell and paint are period although it is a small 62 sized shell which can often look a little odd as we don’t see them as often.

Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    I believe the shell and paint are period although it is a small 62 sized shell which can often look a little odd as we don’t see them as often.

Andy
    Look harder Andy , I see them as much as 64. 60s are the harder to find ones ;-)

I saw that helmet up on ye olde fleabay, too and I see no reason to believe the shell and paint are post war, the decal analysis I will leave up to the more experienced folks but I think it matches up with the rest of the helmet well.
    Just my two cents
    Luis

I know they're out there Frank but I don't know that we see them as much on the forum. Would love to see a 60!

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast