Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible Norwegian M42

Article about: Hello! So this helmet is currently on ebay and I have a few questions. Firstly, the outside of the helmet has been completely repainted possibly by a reenactor, but the inside paint seems ol

Default Possible Norwegian M42

Hello! So this helmet is currently on ebay and I have a few questions.
    Firstly, the outside of the helmet has been completely repainted possibly by a reenactor, but the inside paint seems older. To me. the color on the inside looks like the helmet used by the Norwegians after the war. Secondly, the liner seems to have been dyed red which is exactly what the Norwegians did. So here are my questions:
    1. Does this helmet seem to be a Norwegian reissued m42?
    2. Is the liner and chin strap original?
    3. If questions 1 and 2 are both a yes, does this helmet seem worth pursuing to strip the new paint to reveal the Norwegian paint and decals?

Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible Norwegian M42
    P
    Many

Yes inside is Norwegian and no paint stripping will be a waste if time.

?

I think people should stop paint stripping these Norwegian helmets. They must be collectible in their own right by this point surely?

Yeah, as in stripping, I mean only to reveal the Norwegian paint and decals. I would never like to ruin its history, only trying to remove the cruddy paint/decals somebody put on it.

I've been trying to find a Norwegian helmet for a while now so when I saw this, I figured this would be the closest I would get to having one of these (and not paying too much).

?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I think people should stop paint stripping these Norwegian helmets. They must be collectible in their own right by this point surely?
    They are...people have been stripping Norwegian reissues so long in a quest for German decals that the reissues are becoming tough to find.

Default Norge Reissues

I agree that these helmets have alot going for them - True TR shells, unique olive paint and red liner colors, DD's, etc. I have a couple for quite awile and it's true they're pretty tuff to find nowadays. Here's one of mine which is a Quist 62 M40 (Note: I've since upgraded it with a correct Norge liner which took along time to find as well).

Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42Possible Norwegian M42

Such a nice looking helmet! I've seen a couple shells pop up online, but they all seem to hang around $400. Is this what they are going for?

MAP
    ?

Back in the 70's, these were sold by the boat load, striped, repainted and sold via catalogs. I still have mine. Begged my Dad to by one for me......

Possible Norwegian M42
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

400 bucks doesn't seem to be unusual as a selling point

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Yes they are for sure.

Back in the '70s they were sold mail order in papers like "Exchange and Mart" Exchange and Mart - Wikipedia (only on line and just used cars now but used to offer anything legal and the odd item not so)

They had the Norwegian decals crudely painted over with a similar shade of green that were sold as genuine "Nazi WWII steel helmets" which of course is what they were. Only the Norwegian aspect was ignored.

As a teenager I bought two which turned out to be an M35 and an M42. I could see the overpaint and cleaned it off to reveal the (Norwegian) decals which I did not recognise but pretty much worked out their origin.

I did write to the Imperial War Museum for help in identification (no internet back then) and I am still waitng for any kind of response (no donations from me then!).

Anyway, over time thinking these were just recycled and reduced value because of it I eventually stripped them and in recent times repainted them with authentic paint, removed most of the dark coloured leather preservative with nail polish remover, applied good quality repro decals and now have them as relatively low value display pieces.

But, had I known then what I know now I would have two nice, authentic pieces of historic interest worth far more than I paid for them!

Hindsight eh?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast