Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible Winter Camo?

Article about: Greetings collector friends, I picked this lid up yesterday on E bay, I’m not good with this type of camo at all but it was so cheap that I thought I would take a punt on it. On looking at i

?

Default Possible Winter Camo?

Greetings collector friends,

I picked this lid up yesterday on E bay, I’m not good with this type of camo at all but it was so cheap that I thought I would take a punt on it. On looking at it, I think that some of the white paint looks as if it may have a chance, some looks like it has been either scrubbed or re touched. The vent holes appear to be filled with paint or dirt which doesn’t concern me. The seller advised that he believed the wire was a later addition. The shell is apparently solid with no holes or cracks (I haven’t received it yet) all told, I paid the price of a rusty original shell so if it’s rubbish, i'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I’ll maybe refurb it and stick it back on flea bay or move it on as a copy camo. Please have a nosey and let me know what you think. I’m expecting it to be crap. Unfortunately, no lot number or maker at the minute.
    Cheers
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Winter Camo?   Possible Winter Camo?  

Possible Winter Camo?   Possible Winter Camo?  

Possible Winter Camo?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible Winter Camo?
    P
    Many

Hi Andy, I'm with you, it all looks a bit contrived to me, just does not look quite right, but I have seen worse efforts. Anyway, why would you want wire around a winter cammo? Maybe to hang some holly on! Leon.

?

Ha ha!! It does seem a bit odd Leon. I’m still puzzled though that some of the paint seems to look good and some doesn’t. I’m wondering if someone has tried to tart up an original (but ugly) camo by adding more white paint or if the whole thing has just been knocked up in someone’s garage with him aging some paint better than other paint.
    Andy

MAP
    ?

So much going on here. I can't support or condem it. One I would want to see in hand
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It may have had some old white (cream) paint on it originally, but someone, it appears has added further white paint (lighter tone) over top of the pitted rust. So a messed with relic IMO.

?

Thanks Gentlemen,
    I’m looking forward to getting my mits on it to have a good look at it. I’ll post some better photos when it arrives.
    Cheers
    Andy

?

Hi, you can compare it to mine, this one is 100% original (from Stalingrad):
    Possible Winter Camo?Possible Winter Camo?Possible Winter Camo?Possible Winter Camo?Possible Winter Camo?Possible Winter Camo?
    Cheers,
    Fabe

?

Thanks Fabe, yours has such a great look and will be an excellent point of reference. These lids look great with the decal has been left uncovered and painted around.
    Andy

Amazing helmet Fabe, one of the best looking relics i have ever seen.

?

Well Gentlemen,
    This helmet arrived today and I have to admit to being even more baffled than I was before. It's an M40 (ET64). There are traces of feldgrau peeking through and an outline of a decal. When I look at the decal area with a magnifying glass, I can see recognisable portions of an Adler. The interior of the helmet has traces of Luftwaffe blue. The shell is as solid as a rock with no filler etc judging by the inside of the shell. The vent holes have been totally filled with paint. There is a lot of paint that looks the way that I would expect to see it but some of the whiter paint sits on a hard, thick blue layer. I've no idea what this is but it's too thick to be paint and the helmet hasn't been filled so I'm stuck. Could it be Zimmerite or something added to the shell to insulate it or just random postwar filler that doesn't serve a purpose? The paint sitting on the blue layer seems to be whiter in colour because it is raised off the steel and hasn't had the same interaction with the rust. The liner pins are all solid tight to the shell and don't appear to have ever left the helmet. One of the pins is so rusted onto the helmet that the legs have totally rusted off and the pins don't move at all. Despite this, the wire is stuck tight behind the heads of the pins and the heads of the liner pins are infused to the shell with white paint and rust and appears to have been there for ever. If someone was of a mind to go to all this trouble to fake a helmet, would they make it look as pig ugly as this one?? I had thought of stripping this shell, reprinting it and giving it to my 11 yr old lad for his collection but to be honest, after having this helmet in hand, I would feel very uncomfortable about messing with it at all as I'm starting to believe that part of it or all of it might be ok. I just can't understand the thick blue layer of crud. I've added some more photos chaps if you have time to check them out.
    Cheers as always
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Winter Camo?   Possible Winter Camo?  

Possible Winter Camo?  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast