Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Question about this helmet I Just bought?

Article about: Im not really sure it's origin. I have come to the realization that is a Civic Duties helmet such as a state police, air protection or fire protection. I found the exact helmet on one websit

Puddjuice
    ?

Default Question about this helmet I Just bought?

Im not really sure it's origin. I have come to the realization that is a Civic Duties helmet such as a state police, air protection or fire protection. I found the exact helmet on one website and it was stated as a M1934 Civic Model Police Helmet (circa 1934)
    The only reason why it is hard to ID is because the fire protection helmets do not have the air vents that look like buttons and stick out. Anyways I hope to hear some good things. I ended up buying this for 122.00 off ebay including shipping.

Here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought?  Question about this helmet I Just bought? 

2. # ADS

Puddjuice
    ?

Default Re: Question about this helmet I Just bought?

Is this an original authentic helmet or a repo?

Hi,

Looks an OK firemans helmet.

The title is correct but most you find have been used pre & post war with the fire brigade as this likely was, (the tabs still present to affix the leather neck guard).

Who had what vents etc is just not possible to say today as there were so many different makers and buyers, then re-issues etc.

I think you paid slightly over the odds though, even if it was dollars but I am tight.

So long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Jock

Puddjuice
    ?

as long as its an authentic from ww2 germany im happy with it. is there any other info you could share with me about it?

I don't profess to be an expert on Helmets but i know a little that may help

They call these a 'square dip' Helmet and they were used by Air Raid Wardens, Fireman and Civil Police.Even in some cases you will see them with factory labels such as Mercedes or BMW etc.
    Basically they are a WWII hard hat as used these day's but are still very collectible in original condition.I am not sure if yours has been repainted as there were usually some kind of decals on the side's but not in all cases.A nice one with chin strap and Police decals including the swastika go for around $350 here in oz.Hope this all help's.
    Anyway enjoy it for what it is as its definately period
    Tom

Puddjuice
    ?

Do you think it would be worth trying to remove the paint and look for decals or leave it as is? I don't want to ruin it or lower the value of it though.

You can normaly see an outline if it is just overpainted, if there is no outline could have been stripped down and refurbed for post war use or it may never have had any and is in its original condition? I have dabbled at removing nail varnish used to restore an Army tricolour and would never do it again, the results are on this forum. If you do find an outline and try to reveal it I wish you good luck, I used acetone and it did damage some of the original finish.

Jock