Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Question about helmet M1918 cut-out. . . real or fake?

Article about: Bids don't mean anything. I can imagine a lot of these guys have multiple accounts to create bidding wars, or make their items look more plausible. Not to mention the uninformed masses who m

Bids don't mean anything. I can imagine a lot of these guys have multiple accounts to create bidding wars, or make their items look more plausible. Not to mention the uninformed masses who may be bidding on this stuff. Good move asking here!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about helmet  M1918 cut-out. . . real or fake?
    P
    Many

I learned a long time ago that if you are going to collect anything of value, then you must either learn your stuff VERY VERY well, or refer your questions to trustworthy folks who know their stuff VERY VERY well. I am no expert on these helmets. But having cruised this site many times I knew i would get a fair and reliable assessment from the expert forum members who dwell here.
    I was pretty sure the shell was a repro, but honestly I thought the M1918 liner might be genuine. Is the leather drawstring always an indication of a fake liner, or did some period examples actually come that way?

Cheers,
    Tim

Completely fake. Even the shell is a chinese repro.

Sadly that fake helmet is from a good ww2 ebay dealer...

Tim,

I wouldn't rule out a helmet simply on the draw string... Its so easy to change or just use something in its place. With all the other problems this had, it was just another nail in the coffin. All the originals German helmets of both world wars I have seen have something similar to a shoestring, as opposed to this flat piece of leather (which I attribute to the recent repros...). I could always be wrong though.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to make it
    look like an old but complete relic.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2