Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Question about upgrading a Reproduction M1940

Article about: I have a reproduction German helmet bought way back in the early eighties. It cost me £40 which good money then. The same shop had 'genuine' helmets for sale for £50. Even though I knew noth

?

Default Question about upgrading a Reproduction M1940

I have a reproduction German helmet bought way back in the early eighties. It cost me £40 which good money then. The same shop had 'genuine' helmets for sale for £50. Even though I knew nothing about German helmets back then. I wasn't that stupid.

It essentially represents an M40. I got some decals for it back then and now it's a double decal M40 with plenty of wear so on first inspection it can look genuine to the unitiated. The problem with it is the liner which looks good until you find that it's plastic rather than steel or aluminium. Plus I fancy getting a camo cover for it.

My problem is that the helmet is not marked as a size, so I would be taking pot luck in buying a better liner. So does anyone know how the helmet size was measured. Is it external or internal or is there some other way?

Plus does anyone have any recommendations for good liners. I would assume it would be steel to match the period it represents. Plus who does good camo covers with a properly authentic pattern?

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about upgrading a Reproduction M1940
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question about upgrading a Reproduction M1940

Hi,
    You can try atthefront.com
    They sell repro liners. I hear they are top quality. Also, for good camo covers, try 1944militaria.com, I once heard they are known as "the masters of German camoflauge" to reenactors. "
    Sorry but I can't help you with the helmet. I hope someone can help you and that those sites provide you with whatever you need.

?

I went to the Atthefront website and in fact it was all explained in their straight talking, colourful way!!!! that it's the inside you need to measure. So thanks for that, mystery solved.

I'm glad that helped