Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A quick question regarding this CAMO work....legit or post-war?

Article about: Recently i've stubled into this helmet, having this long term fantasy to own a M17. I'm pretty positive that the helmet is ok, but what about the camo paint? Is it genuine or a post war impr

Default A quick question regarding this CAMO work....legit or post-war?

Recently i've stubled into this helmet, having this long term fantasy to own a M17. I'm pretty positive that the helmet is ok, but what about the camo paint? Is it genuine or a post war improvisation?

I'm not an expert, so i would like to hear some opinions about it, also considering that i find it pretty interesting. As discussion starter, i would say that maybe the colours are a bit to crisp? what do you think?

Many thanks in advance!

Mihai
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1k600.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	945035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1m600.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	945036  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l16o00.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	945037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l160k0.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	945038  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l160p0.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	945039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	945040  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

looks original to me.

i'm also tempted to believe so...but i also preferred to ask first...considering some fine art exaples of fakes going around. Coul you estimate a range of price for a piece like this one? I'm asking only in order to somehow calculate my steps in the possible buy of the helmet, many thanks for your time!

Looks like the paint may have been applied after the back liner rivet was removed as there doesn't seem to be a space in the red paint where the rivet would have been. Could be the way the picture looks on my monitor.

Hi popcorn, thanks for your reply! I'll wait to see if some more opinions will form in a bigger one, before to take actions about offerts or buying...I already recived few opinions about it (4 guys telling me that it's genuine, 2 that it isn't) so i would like to clarify a bit its status

No problem. I'm a novice with these painted helmets so can't say original or not with any expertise. That back rivet area is the only thing I see that could possibly be a red flag.

Yes, i will wait for ''some of the experienced helmet guys'', hopefully they will help me to avoid a bad investment, or to embrace a good one...:P

Hi, I'm no expert on WW1 "tortoise shell" cammo but I think it looks ok. I can see a small ring around the area of the missing rivet when the image is blown up, I think it is just hard to spot as the rust and red paint are very close in colour! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

The rear rivets were very small, which may be what is throwing everyone off. I see some things I like, such as the wear. It is an unusual mix of colors, and is in rough shape. I think you will get mixed feelings via pictures alone, and I can't say I could be 100% on it. Let us know what happens!

To be honest, ''what will happend'' depends on what kind of feedback i will recive about the helmet. I've tried by myself to identify a possible fake, but the matter is out of my range of expertise (This would be my second german helmet, rather a long time wish than a collector's milestone...i collect other stuff) and otherwise i wasn't able to recive a ''clear shot'' about it, some telling me that should be good, others finding some possible issues, but nobody stating 100% if it's good or fake.

I'm also presuming that the shell should be good anyway, and that the camo work may be repro. I would like to hear some more ferm opinion about it, because, in the back of my toughts, i hope to hear that it's a good one, because i like it....

Anyway, if good, what should be its range of price?

Many thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast