MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Quist M40 'Lufty'

Article about: Annoyed from this ads?   Name: 014 (936x1024).jpg  Views: 19  Size: 50.0 KB  ID: 417065 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Here is my newest addition, a 66cm Quist M

Default Quist M40 'Lufty'

Attachment 417065Attachment 417076Attachment 417075Attachment 417074Attachment 417073Attachment 417072Attachment 417071Attachment 417070Attachment 417069Attachment 417068Attachment 417067Attachment 417066Attachment 417077

Here is my newest addition, a 66cm Quist M40. It started out as a Lufty but appears to have been painted over at some point in its life. You can just about see the Luftwaffe eagle underneath the paint. There is a name on the liner; Dr Bahn. While it could have been used by a doctor, I'm just wondering whether it could maybe mean 'Deutsche Reich Bahn, that is the German railway. Maybe it was acquired by a railway employee? The leather chin strap came with the helmet and looks period, like the two have been together for a long time. I don't recognize the strap as being German, though the buckle is, I believe, German. It is a nice salty example, complete with original liner. The liner is somewhat dry, would you advise me to put some leather oil or cream on it, or leave it as is. I'm tempted to leave it. I hope, gentlemen, that you enjoy the photos.

Attachment 417079Attachment 417080

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quist M40 'Lufty'
    P
    Many

Default Re: Quist M40 'Lufty'

Nice one Alexander - I would say that the chinstrap was added sometime in the last 50 years - that's why it looks like it's always been there ( the war WAS a long time ago). The general consensus would be to leave the leather as it is - any conditioner WILL darken it and it looks in fine condition as is.
    I would be more than happy to have a helmet like this in my collection - just lose the chinstrap, it would look better with out it ( IMO )
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Chinstrap is typically Czechslovakian and was used on the model 30 and 32 helmet. Seeing as that after the annexation of Czechslovakia alot of the equipment was used by the Germans I would indicate this as a plausible period replacement chinstrap.

I've seen Czech straps like this added to German helmets, they were popular as a replacement when available apparently.

Nice lid in a good size

Don't treat the leather, it is stable now after decades. Just keep it in good stable conditions and it won't degrade any more. Any oiling etc of leather helmet parts, always gives unsatisfactory results, at best the liner will just look incongruous in the salty shell. At worst, it could turn to wet tissue paper and be destroyed It looks great as it is IMO.

Thanks, magicdutchmen. I thought that the strap looked familier. In fact there is a past forum entry with a Heer Quist with the same strap.

Very nice, Alexander - as I said in the other thread.

Yes, a modification that I have noted on at least six other examples over the last 2 years.

I have a collection of helmet photos which show these chinstraps, I also have a period photo of one in use on an M35. By all indications, this chinstrap has always been with this helmet.

Best,
    Josh

A nice repainted helmet. It's great when the decal is visible in some way from beneath the paint. Really adds to the character. I also agre with what has already been said in regards to the liner. Oils and creams only devalue and detract. It changes the originality as it has then been "messed with." A great looking helmet for any collection!

Attachment 417139

Thanks for all the comments. I must say, there is something about the M40. I've three now, this will probably be my last!!?? Or maybe, just maybe, another Heer.

It will not be your last. Not by a long shot. Prepare to be addicted.