Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?

Article about: and a nice liner!

Default QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?

Here is an interesting QVL66. These helmets don't pop up too often, this one caught my eye so I thought I'd post it. The liner and chinstrap are listed as Norwegian, but I think they are original WWII German, the chinstrap may have been added post war. QVL manufactured M42 helmets are all really late war. Most of the examples I have seen have a thin coat of paint like this one. In my opinion the paint is original, but I'd like to hear more opinions. Enjoy or destroy

PS: I don't see a dome stamp, and the description does not mention one. Lot Number looks like 5593, which is the normal QVL range.

Regards,
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?   QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?  

QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?   QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?
    P
    Many

Default Re: QVL66 M42 Mint Unissued?

Just click on the photos to make them larger

QVL????? Now I'm really showing my ignorance but I had never heard of this maker Corey......

Please explain more...
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    QVL????? Now I'm really showing my ignorance but I had never heard of this maker Corey......

Please explain more...
    Dan
    Rarely seen maker mark. I dont think anyone knows exactly which maker it is. I'd like to see more and closer pics, making sure this isnt a post war repaint.

More pics would be great to help be sure about the repaint factor, I'm not sure but it has a chance I think. The liner is spliced, which is fine, and I suppose goes with the late war mentality of not wasting good materials. Are you going after this one Corey?

Dan QVL is a very rare late war maker as Todd says, '44/'45 sorta' time? I have some voice telling me they were made at a factory in the Reich outside of Germany, Czechoslovakia maybe.... I might be making this up.

Edit; looking closely, the chinstrap does look to have been dyed red, what do you think Todd, you had one of those didn't you?

Here is no longer a chart from Brian Ice's book showing the QVL manufacturing date. They were manufactured so late, it makes sense that many were unissued.
    Last edited by Sir Payne; 01-20-2013 at 06:58 AM.

That is the coolest boring looking chart I've seen in a long time mate, definitely saving that. Very useful.

Krad you may be right about the chinstrap. It looks to have rubbed off on the edge of the visor. I'm thinking about going for it just because it is a QVL, as long as the price doesn't get too high.

Hopefully people will think it's just a regular ND M42, does he have the liner and strap explicitly described as post war Norwegian? That might put people off too. The liner at least is legit and untouched I'm pretty confident. If he will provide more pics of the paint and liner pins etc, that would be awesome. Maybe a liner date too?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Rarely seen maker mark. I dont think anyone knows exactly which maker it is. I'd like to see more and closer pics, making sure this isnt a post war repaint.
    Thanks Todd & Andy for the explano ....... this ol' dog is learning a few more tricks!
    Cheers, Dan

Good luck with it Corey!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast