Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?

Article about: Hi Guy !!! I'm new to this forum and wound greatly appreciate any help that you can give. I recently pick-up this Luftschutz Helmet at an estate sale and over the past week have leaned a lot

Default Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?

Hi Guy !!!
    I'm new to this forum and wound greatly appreciate any help that you can give. I recently pick-up this Luftschutz Helmet at an estate sale and over the past week have leaned a lot about it, but still have unanswered questions. Can any one tell me what year this is ? I'm thinking 1939. Also this helmet has a red plastic like liner band on it. Is this common for this year or rare? Also what wound the ink mark "101 and R" mean that is stamped on the liner it self?? 58 wound be the size, Right? And last can any one tell me if they think it's authentic, and if so what wound the value be based on it's condition? Thank you guys for your time and expertise. Dean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?   Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?  

Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?   Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rare? or Common Luftschutz Helmet?

Hi Dean, welcome to the forum!

It is a nice clean, original helmet. They are not rare.

You are correct on the size marking being "58".

The other might be an accountability marking.

I cannot give you a date for the helmet, but I would suspect it will be a bit later production than 1939 going by the liner band.

I am not up to speed on current values for these sorry.

Cheers, Ade.

This piece is a 100% original "2-piece" gladiator luftschutz helmet, a little less common than the "3-piece" examples, that have a welded seam on the flares over each ear from the rim to the bead. Value wise, in this condition, which is, indeed very good, you will see them on dealers' sites for between $150 and $300. I think the real value is closer to the lower end of that spectrum but I would guess that you got a very good deal for it at the sale. Welcome to the site. There are many members who know an awful lot about helmets, and, thankfully, are willing to share their knowledge. Jim G.

?

i agree the recent cost that i have seen for the model you have is approx 250.00 usd..but on the other hand yours is in excellent condition and should value a little more all depending on market....as stated these are not that rare..but one heck of a find!