Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?

Article about: Hi Guys, look at my helmet. It's a real M42. Correct? Because of the missing flange. The air hole is also typical, right? How would you get rid of the rust? With destilled water or oxalic ac

Default Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?

Hi Guys,
    look at my helmet. It's a real M42. Correct? Because of the missing flange. The air hole is also typical, right?
    How would you get rid of the rust? With destilled water or oxalic acid? I think there will not be an emblem, not M42.

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?   Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?  

Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?   Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

To me, this looks like M42, but i'm not an expert so do not take my word for it. I have bad luck with helmets because I never seem to be able to get my hands on an M42 or M35, only M40s, so I have nothing to cross reference with. From the looks of it, I don't think it's even possible to remove the rust at this point, but somebody else may disagree with me!

It's an M42. The characteristic flared edge gives it away.
    It being that model doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of a decal. I have a relic M42 pulled from a lake in France, with the remains of a Heer decal on the left side.
    Honestly, I wouldn't expect to recover much from a relic that's badly pitted. Just a personal opinion, but if it were mine, I'd seek to stabilise it and not do much else in the way of tampering. It's a nice relic shell as it is, and will never be a 'proper' helmet again. The history in relics is in the dirt and the rust.

Regards, B.B.

Oxalic acid is nasty stuff, but does work wonders. You could also use vehicle rust remover. It is indeed an M42.

Just to add, a method of stabilization that I've had great success with: Take a large bucket, big enough to submerge the helmet in completely, fill it with warm water then dump a full pack of teabags in. Stir it until it's dark, then dump the helmet in. Leave it to soak for a morning or afternoon, stirring it every now and then, and the red rust will have been neutralized.
    Sounds silly, but it really works! Helmets treated with this method will have a much darker appearance, but won't flake or crumble.

Here's my own M42, before and after the tea-bath I gave it back in the middle of June:

Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?

And today. Apart from two or three small flakes from the remains of the liner, no damage or resurgent rust to report!

Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?

I've tried oxalic acid on another helmet, and in my own personal experience it made no changes to the condition of the helmet whatsoever. If anything, the lid has become even more crumbly since giving it a bath.

B.B.

MAP
    ?

If you keep it in a nice dry place, as is, the M42 helmet will outlast you without any treatment.

The rust does not appear critical.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks

Leave it just as it is!

Look at my helmet, I've got it now.
    Here is my guide?

First: Use acid-proof gloves and safety goggles for the eyes !!
    Large container containing 20 liters of distilled water + 20 tablespoons of oxalic acid + 1 liter of boiling distilled water.
    Helm bell sunk in there completely.
    After about 18 hours out and rinse well with warm water and plastic brush.
    Then dry rub with chick roll and a few days (with me it was a good 2 weeks) in destieliertes water.
    After this insert out with it, dry with Kückenrolle and off in the oven for a good 2 hours at 150 degrees.
    Allow to cool and then wiped a lot of WD 40 on it and with chick roll, so 6 x daily for 7 days.
    Then wipe dry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?   Is this a real M42 Stahlhelm?  

A good result I think and worth doing
    Nick