Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01

Article about: This fine textured dark green helmet looks like the same interior paint was used on the outside as well. The liner band was repaired with a plate and four rivets. All liner pins and washers

?

Default Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01

This fine textured dark green helmet looks like the same interior paint was used on the outside as well.
    The liner band was repaired with a plate and four rivets. All liner pins and washers are intact and as found on factory production.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01   Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01  

Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01   Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01  

Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01
    P
    Many

Default Re: Reinforcing plate liner repair M42 NS64 B01

That's an interesting and certainly unusual repair and raises several questions (to me)...
    Is it a period repair? Wouldn't it have been easier to simply replace the liner?
    Or is this a postwar fix? I like the overall look of the helmet and leather/liner, and the repair has the appearance of
    ageing as well...I look forward to hearing opinions from the Stahlhelm-folks on this one...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.

I like the overall look as well, what would be the most plausible scenario as far as replacing the linerband vs. this fix would depend on the availability of spare helmet parts I guess -- in a frontline scenario/something similar I could easily see this having been done due the lack of an actual replacement band... I'd have no problem believing it to be period but, imo, you can never know 100% either way.

Hi,that is very unusual but I fell that it is most probably a "cobbled together" field repair. Either way it is a nice helmet that has a good feel to it. Leon.