Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

removing paint

Article about: hi guys, i have an m40 that was repainted and had a dry decal put on it a LOOOOONG time ago. there are a few spots where the paint has chipped a bit and i can see the original layer undernea

Default removing paint

hi guys, i have an m40 that was repainted and had a dry decal put on it a LOOOOONG time ago. there are a few spots where the paint has chipped a bit and i can see the original layer underneath. the paint under it looks great, so im curious to see the rest. it looks like it has the original liner band and chinstrap, but the liner itself is cheap reproduction.

my question is, how would i go about removing the paint without damaging the layer underneath? i cant find the answer anywhere. and ill be posting some pics later if i can get good detailed ones with my crap camera.

thanks,
    mo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement removing paint
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: removing paint

Weve had abig discussion about this on another thread, some say paint stripper,some prefer acetone,white spirit, methylated spirit,it really depends on what type of paint your dealing with,if its modelling paint then use model paint remover,if not its a trial and error,but start on a small patch inside and whatever you use have water standing by to counter act any corrosive action, do it in small sections and take your time over it,if need be over the course of a week or so ,eventually you will find something you will be happy to work with.

?

use paint stripper, acetone can be a bit to aggressive if you use paint stripper leave it on long enough to start affecting the new paint then wash off or use some kind of plastic scrapping tool but not metal do all this a bit at a time & just in case be extra careful around where the decals would be. just take your time & be careful as you just dont know what could be under there

thanks for the advice guys, ill be sure to post some before and after pics : )
    ill work on it next weekend

?

I have had a lot of luck with a product called " Goof Off " I do not know if it is available in Europe. I have a japanese helmet that was painted red.
    I painted a small area 4 x 4 inches at a time letting it set 15 to 20 seconds ,starting at the top, and used a fine 00 size steel wool and with light pressure it came up. I had a little trouble with the inside corners of the star but with Q tips and patience it worked out. Keep excess wiped up with paper towels or a cotton cloth.
    What ever you do make sure you do it in a well ventilated area unless you don't mind setting around drooling and stareing at the walls most of the time. Plus what ever it does to your lungs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture removing paint  

The Jap Helmet has come up well.I use Acetone but it can be aggressive if used too much and not wiped off with a damp cloth. I had to use paint stripper for a 251 Halftrack wheel as it had 4 layers of paint but it did come off and original ordanance tan was found

Tom