MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing Paint to expose a decal, Bad idea? or can it be done?

Article about: Hello Folks, I read back through a few pages of threads, to see if this topic was touched on, I couldn't find anything, a few close, And I apologize if I am asking a question thats common kn

Default Removing Paint to expose a decal, Bad idea? or can it be done?

Hello Folks, I read back through a few pages of threads, to see if this topic was touched on, I couldn't find anything, a few close, And I apologize if I am asking a question thats common knowledge, but apparently not to me, LOL
    I have an M42 Luffwaffe single decal, decal painted over, like I have seen many before, outline of decal is visable, Can that paint be removed carefully with a fine rubbing compound, or somthing simular to expose the decal? or leave it be!! from a display purpose it would be nice to have, be I don't want to ruin whats there, which is the original wartime paint over. Advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Removing Paint to expose a decal,  Bad idea? or can it be done?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Removing Paint to expose a decal, Bad idea? or can it be done?

I wouldnt touch it. Liberated decals, although better for display, tend to take away from the helmet, as its been changed from its final wartime look. You could also take away some of the finer details of the decal, or even the decal its self trying to bring it out.

Leave it be and enjoy what you have! At then end of the day unmessed with original are only going to get harder to find

I bought an M35 camo shell and removed all the paint to expose the single decal.
    It had been a double decal Heer at one time. Even though it was just
    a shell, if I had thought it through, I should have left it alone.
    It is too late now, there is no camo left.................

I suggest you leave yours be, as it came to you this way, and it is original !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Removing Paint to expose a decal,  Bad idea? or can it be done?   Removing Paint to expose a decal,  Bad idea? or can it be done?  

Regards,

Steve.

Very silly idea. Ruins the historical and market value of the helmet. But it's yours and you can do as you wish with it. I just recommend that you don't. More chance in the future of you regretting it than being happy...

It depends on what kind of paint is over it. If it is one of those post-war black painted helmets and the entire wartime paint job and decal are covered then go for it. If it was a wartime repaint, camo, etc. then definately DO NOT take any paint off. My suggestion would be to post some pictures of the helmet in question.

?

My advise is to post a picture, lets see what the helmet looks like , ie what the paint job is, if original paint the answer will be leave well alone, if not original there are two things to consider, 1, removing the paint will expose the decal, but if not original paint ,could it be a fake decal, 2, removing paint from any helmet is tricky but it maybe that if the paint is original you will spoil the patina, value and the overall look, just because theres a decal under the paint and you know its there, why take the risk ,its not worth it

Thank you all for the great advice, You guys all think practical, I like that, I will post up some photos soon as I can find some batteries for the cammera.

?

hi ,best to leave as is , if it aint broke dont fix it as the saying goes.....cheers paul

I did receive a lot of 'bravo', 'nice' and 'great job' comments when I first posted
    my exposed lid, but again, should have let it be..............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Taking off original wartime paint from a helmet to see the decal is a big no no and a value killer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast