Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Restore or Leave??

Article about: Good evening all, I'm interested to hear your opinions on this shell I've acquired. Should it be restored or left as it is? I have preferences either way, I like the fact its all original, a

Default Restore or Leave??

Good evening all,
    I'm interested to hear your opinions on this shell I've acquired. Should it be restored or left as it is? I have preferences either way, I like the fact its all original, and it would be nice to fit an original liner and strap to it. On the other side it has some significant rust on it, at the moment its still sound mostly but I am worried about the rust eating away at it further. How will it affect the value? It's only going to be for decoration if that makes a difference.

Any opinions and pointers and welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom.Restore or Leave??Restore or Leave??Restore or Leave??Restore or Leave??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restore or Leave??
    P
    Many

Hi Tom, welcome mate. I'd leave it as is to be honest, any restoration would look out of place and just turn it into another messed-with lid, and kill the value too. Collectors want them original and untouched.

yes
    Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Hi Tom, welcome mate. I'd leave it as is to be honest, any restoration would look out of place and just turn it into another messed-with lid, and kill the value too. Collectors want them original and untouched.

MAP
    ?

My opinion (not that anyone respects it ).......is to leave it alone

My reasoning? It's about the history. Thats why I like salty items (althought I love minty items as well).

I'm ok with repairs to stabilize an item but not to alter them.

A decision though that is up to you. It should be what will make you enjoy it the most.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Cheeks only remove the yellow color.Because helmets acidified
    with oxalic acid

Thanks guys, I think I will leave it, I agree its about the history, I can look at it and wonder about the stories behind it. I think if I want to mess around painting then a repro will do for that!

Cheers.

?

Leave it and buy a better one when you can make that happen.

The helmet "prophets" have spoken. Leave it well alone, it is all about the history, not repainting a relic and turning it into a film prop or worse. Do you know where it was recovered from? Leon.

Hi Michael, I agree with all you say but I must say that your first statement is TOTALLY not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I for one DO respect YOUR opinion and I have absolutely no doubt that many others on OUR forum also respect YOUR opinion. Please feel free and have the confidence to express it at will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards and best wishes Michael R