Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Restoring a helmet

Article about: Hi all! My friend gave me a german helmet (m40 maybe, on inside it is written ET62 ) for my birthday. He painted a helmet in 1967, but not in original paint. I sent a helmet for blasting and

Default Restoring a helmet

Hi all!

My friend gave me a german helmet (m40 maybe, on inside it is written ET62 ) for my birthday. He painted a helmet in 1967, but not in original paint. I sent a helmet for blasting and i want to restore it to a original looks. I have one question. Are those air vents filld with iron rivet original? I was looking for many helmets on internet but all of them had air vents clear . Please look awaz from holes for leather interior, i will clear them. A guy who blasted the helmet thought he is doing me a favour. I want to clear those air vents if those are not original and for start paint helmet with base colour for protection. I will be thenkful for any advice. Regards from slovenia!

Original state

Sand blasted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoring a helmet
    P
    Many

?

I wouldnt do anything with the helmet. It is best to leave it as it is since you got it from someone you know. I would rather write a piece of paper and leave inside where it says who gave it, and when. Or maybe the giver can write these data to give it a personal touch.

Regarding restoring it, that will remove most of the connection you had with the giver since he gave it to you the way it looks today.

I would rather saved my birthday money and buy a 100% original helmet in a worn condition to display next to this one to show everyone how the helmet would look like in ww2.
    At least try to do as i recommend, if you still want to do paint it etc, well then you have atleast tried another option first.

Nice suggestions, but this is not what I want. Also my friend, who painted this helmet in 1967 said, that he thinks I will do better than him with painting etc. I want to restore (to paint, signatures of one of the units who have been in Slovenia in ww2) it and also protect helmet from corosion. But before base paint I need to know what is with te air vents. Are this filled air vents original?

This is the wrong forum section. We like them original and authentic here.
    There is a restoration section in this forum. Post it there.

?

Nono the filled airvents are not original like that. If you look at photos of other helmets you will see they all have their air vents open, if they are blocked, then they do not function.

Good luck with your project Sir.

Air vents seem to be filled with some sort of rivet. I can't imagine why that was done, but certainly post war.

Put another mortgage on your house, buy an SS cammo cover and put it on the helm.