Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SAUERLAND decal

Article about: I got this picture of the SAUERLAND decal on a helmet which is at my relatives in Germany at the moment. They are ordinary people, don't have any knowledge about militaria but since they are

Default SAUERLAND decal

I got this picture of the SAUERLAND decal on a helmet which is at my relatives in Germany at the moment. They are ordinary people, don't have any knowledge about militaria but since they are aware of my hobby this helmet is stored for me.
    What do you think? Any chance to be an original SAUERLAND helmet?
    I'm waiting for more pics about the complete item.

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SAUERLAND decal
    P
    Many

Default Re: SAUERLAND decal

Unfortunately the decal is not real. The "snake" on the right side of the decal is one of the give aways - it is based upon the mistaken belief that a scratch on one of the original Sauerland helmets published early on, once in the Baer book, was a snake. The repros then began to come out with this snake. I have actually held the original example in hand, and can see how one could, from the pictures, think it was a snake, but alas, it is not. The print, colors, composition, and graphics of the decal are also not right. There are only 5 or 6 original examples known to exist. This one, unfortunately, is not real. Sorry, Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Unfortunately the decal is not real. The "snake" on the right side of the decal is one of the give aways - it is based upon the mistaken belief that a scratch on one of the original Sauerland helmets published early on, once in the Baer book, was a snake. The repros then began to come out with this snake. I have actually held the original example in hand, and can see how one could, from the pictures, think it was a snake, but alas, it is not. The print, colors, composition, and graphics of the decal are also not right. There are only 5 or 6 original examples known to exist. This one, unfortunately, is not real. Sorry, Jim G.
    haha! I love to hear about fakers getting owned!

shame. rare as platinum rocking horse shit stuck in between hens teeth.

As a side note, these should all be NS m42 lids If I remember correctly.

Edit: I just checked, apparently not

I held a real one in my hands in a junk shop in Chicago in 1959. The guy had gotten in two helmets from a vet. The Sauerland with no chin strap and a Luftwaffe with hand painted foreign volunteer shield on the right side. At the time, no one knew what the Sauerland helmet was. Both were $7.50, which was a lot of money for a 14 year old. I bought the Luftwaffe and came back the next week for the Saeurland only to find out the guy did not hold it for me as he promised. It is out there somewhere. I hope a bikert did not get it and chrome it!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    This helmet is an NS66 M42. According to Kelly Hicks' site theoretically all of known original SAUERLAND helmets are NS maker marked. A good sign so far. I think the same decal is pictured in the BAER book and the later Goodapple book too. ( decal without the snake but with a strange damaged area which looks similar to the snake's head but the body is missing ). Other sources mention 3 different SAUERLAND decal types. "Three types of decals are known to exist. Two patterns have an embedded snake intertwined within the oak leaves and swastika. The remaining version of the Sauerland decal is identical to the others but is void of the snake placed in the overall design." -german-helmets.com
    They also point 3 different helmet types to be known as originals. M42, gladiator and M34 civic helmet. Decals are on the left side.
    Hicks' site:
    "So far I have seen only 4 helmets with this distinctive double edge one side border decal worn on the left side only . All are M42 and the products of "NS" -Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke, Schwerte, Westphalen ."
    Decals are on the left too.
    IN the BAER and Goodapple books SAUERLAND decals are on the right side.
    Comparing this decal with originals I must say it's very different. Totally different graphics, details and shade of green.
    In the Radovic series there is an M42 with Sauerland decal on the left side but just as many helmets in the Radovic books looks to be a fake. Decal is not even close. (bad graphics, black lines around the acorns..etc)
    Thank you Jim!
    I'll remember to the correct details for sure.

Oh, so I was half right about the NS 42's. Splendid.

Hi,

Here's one located in Belgium. It's on a Quist 62 and on the right side. It's not mine, but I'd like to know your opinions anyhow.
    No snake or whatsoever.

Cheers

NEIN! Very bad fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast