Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SD apple-green m42

Article about: This was the second helmet I ever got. not sure if any of you guys ever feel this way but the longer I've had it the more I like it . Still has the beautiful apple-green color to it. Enjoy g

?

Default SD apple-green m42

This was the second helmet I ever got. not sure if any of you guys ever feel this way but the longer I've had it the more I like it . Still has the beautiful apple-green color to it. Enjoy gents
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD apple-green m42   SD apple-green m42  

SD apple-green m42   SD apple-green m42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD apple-green m42
    P
    Many

I love the apple green colors. Very visually appealing. Thanks for sharing!

Actually never associated Apple Green w M42s. Interesting to see. This is Factory painted ?

RAL6003 Olivgrün (more often called apple green) was used on M35 helmets without texture, from 1940 onwards RAL6006 Feldgrau Nr.3 and Schiefergrau (slate gray) was used with aluminium oxide for texture because that way helmets aren't as shiny in the field when the sun shines on them and therefore harder to spot.
    Because of material shortages and different interpretations of the RAL color gamut, many different shades exist and some may look like apple green.
    But it in fact is feldgrau.
    For example, I have two gas mask canisters, one marked frn42 and one marked frn44, the 42 feldgrau is much greener whereas the 44 feldgrau is more brown.
    Nevertheless, a nice SD M42 you have there, shame about the damaged decal though.
    Luis

btw is the shell made by ET/ckl?

I think the paint was affected by something , it looks like the correct paint (not apple green).
    Could have been paint that an overpaint was taken off or something like it. Or cleaned so hard it took the patina off.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I think the paint was affected by something , it looks like the correct paint (not apple green).
    Could have been paint that an overpaint was taken off or something like it. Or cleaned so hard it took the patina off.
    Yeah I think so, too.
    Especially when looking at the decal.
    Looks like it was probably affected by acetone or a similar sort of thinner when the other paint was taken off resulting in parts of the top layer being removed.
    Aside from that they did a pretty good job though, the only other spot where I can see that the paint looks a little odd is on the inside skirt on the right side (on the last picture)
    Luis

TWS
    ?

Yep. Was going to say the terms M42 and Apfelgrün do not go together.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Thank you for the correction guys, I should've known better. Goes to show that you learn something new everyday.

TWS
    ?

Quote by Wally6 View Post
    Thank you for the correction guys, I should've known better. Goes to show that you learn something new everyday.
    I started collecting 37 years ago, but I can say the same for myself.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."