Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SD Heer DAK helmet

Article about: Hello Gent's, i could use some help on this helmet. i'm not a helmet guy so i dont know a great deal about them. it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, but i know how they fake decals. i belie

?

Default Re: SD Heer DAK helmet

thanks for the responces.
    i am quite well aware there are many fake decals as well as original. and as i said up front, i dont know all the differences. it did not look right to me. that is why i posted pictures here before making any offer on it. i believe it is an older humped up project. the paint looks old with the chipping as it is. and the color matches others i have seen. Ade looked at it for me and tells me the decal is fake. thats good enough for me. and because the paint is over the edges of the decal, its obviously bad too. seems it has no redeaming qualities at all if its just fake top to bottom. assuming that means the shell is bad and the chin strap and liner.
    i would prefer better educated responces other than its just fake. to me the idea here is to learn and share information. not snide comments. but thats just me.
    andrew

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

thank you Steve.
    when i first looked at it. it did not seem right. so i wanted to take some pictures to share here and see what the helmet collectors thought.
    andrew

?

My instant reaction, on seeing the pictures, was that it was a fake. This was before I saw the replies. What it proves to me is that this forum is superb. I've been educated. Previously a good helmet was shown and I saw it was real. I will in due course buy a genuine German helmet. i will show it here confident it's the real thing. this forum is an invaluable service and it's free.

The helmet is a fake.
    I would also say made up in the pass 4 years.
    This has not been in someone home since the 50s
    Chris

?

Quote by Andrew View Post
    ... i would prefer better educated responces other than its just fake. to me the idea here is to learn and share information. not snide comments. but thats just me.
    andrew
    Andrew you seem to be a tad oversensitive about things. You can take my comments any way you want, it was not intended to be snide, but Nuno gave you an opinion and you sort of jumped on him as well.

All I said is it was fake top to bottom, I am not sure what sort of detailed breakdown Ade gave you, but part of collecting is to become self aware and not to be spoon fed or you learn nothing. I say this with all due respect, but it is a hard cold fact of the matter or you will spend a lot of money needlessly and be dependant on others. Not a way you want to collect German helmets. You mentioned yourself you suspected the decal was bad. You are quite correct and nothing about this helmet is warm and fuzzy.

So here you have it - your paint is post war, your decal is post war, your liner appears to be replaced and not original to the shell, and the chinstrap appears to be bad but as you say your photos are not the best so take it for what its worth. The shell, appears to be a good EF. So, this is why I said it was a complete fake top to bottom.

Paint overtop of a decal has not much to do with originality. I would recommend purchasing some reference books like Ken Neiaworicz (spelling is wrong but Ken knows I cant pronounce his last name nevermind say it) wrote and starting slowly, not with camo helmets.

Cheers and not being snide.

Doug

Quote by Andrew View Post
    i would prefer better educated responces other than its just fake. to me the idea here is to learn and share information. not snide comments. but thats just me.
    andrew
    You have to do the learning bit yourself , if you think I elaborated in each of my thousands of posts why something is bad. (and I attend three forums) I would have given up commenting.
    Sometimes it is opportune to share , it often depends on how it is asked and how good the fake really is. Easy fakes like this one only need to be compared with an original example of which you'll find plenty on the forum if you do a search. Be thankful people take their time to comment at all.

?

ok gents, lets see if i can clear this up just a little bit and in a nice way.
    #1 it is NOT my helmet. if you read what i said. i got a phone call to come look at it and i took some pictures.
    #2 i do not collect helmets and have no intention to.!!!!! IF !!!! it were an original, it would have been offerd to collectors here. this is the only site i visit or offer anything to. i am not telling any one its original i only put it up for evaluation. i dont care either way if it is good or not. i dont own it. i left that to the helmet guys judgement. IF it were good, some one here would have had a good oppertunity.
    #3 some people may only ever own one helmet and be quite happy at that.
    i have already said i'm satisfied the paint and decal was no good. it would have just been nice to be told what exactly was wrong and right with it. like, well the shell is good but the rest etc. to just say its FAKE or JUNK helps no one. and as i said some people only care to own one helmet not 100. i keep one helmet just as a sample, and i sell off others i get. and i would prefer to have them authenticated by those who actually own them.
    i'm not looking to start any issues. i dont care that much. some people like the oppertinity of things out of the wood work for sale. we all know not everything out there is original. i'm here to pass it along and and have it evaluated in real time. i'm not looking to pass crap off on any one. if i was i would not bother showing it on line.
    this is a dead issue. i dont own the helmet, never did, there is no personal issue in it to me. so dont take my responces to personal. i was only looking for an decent opinion on it to begin with.
    some collectors need to keep in mind that not all collectors are that intence. arrogence puts people off i think. not everyone will have big collections. and no one knows everything on TR items. thats why a fourm like this can be such a great help to collectors of all kinds. to be able to reasonably and respectfuly exchange information and items. in a friendly spirit. at least thats my view.
    and my coment to nuno was not even close to jumping on him. i simply stated what i was told, and tried to add a little humor by saying that i had just been looking at Heer decals on the net untuill my eyes went blurry. so save the jumping comment and the one about not doing the research. obviously that was not clear enough. a guy can only do just so much looking in a short period of time, on a possably pending deal. that is why i asked here.
    andrew

I'm sure people would just love to help you out again... no warm and fuzzy feelings in this thread, that's for damn sure

?

Andrew,

Its just not possible to reply in detail to every thread, you have to understand that aspect of forums. There can be literally hundreds of "is it real" posts put up DAILY on the 3 helmet related forums I attend, 1 of which I moderate. I don't have much time and normally don't even look at most of them. The only reason I replied was your reply to Nuno. He was exactly right but you countered his opinion, your comment that you had been looking to see why it was a fake till your eyes hurt motivated me to reply. You are asking for an eduction through your posts, that is not always possible to do. When it is an obvious fake, hearing it is so and trying to tie it down as to why is part of the self education process, and makes you a better collector.

Thats all, there is no need to make this into a debate as to what is expected from people who reply to posts. There is some obligation to those making the post to do some research as well. I know of many advanced collectors that have stopped replying to threads such as these, as they get tired of getting crapped on when they don't deliver the type of education the person who was posting an obvious fake is expecting. That hurts the hobby when these guys stop participating.

New collectors have an obligation to learn the basics, be it they want 1 helmet or 1000, and experienced collectors I believe have an obligation to help them, which I did when I said it was a bad decal and fake top to bottom.

If you want a real German helmet, visit walhalla.se, there are about 20-40 100% bonafide real helmets there at any time for sale and you are dealing with top collectors. If you join you can learn more about German helmets in a few days to give you some confidence in your ability to buy. This forum is also helpful but its a two way street.

Cheers and again, not being snide or arrogant, just some friendly advice to help you along the way

Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12