Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SD Luftwaffe M40

Article about: The last helmet I posted on here; someone got to it before I did, but I found another one that I liked. I found this nice Luftwaffe M40 for sale, and thought it looked ok, aside from one of

?

Default SD Luftwaffe M40

The last helmet I posted on here; someone got to it before I did, but I found another one that I liked.

I found this nice Luftwaffe M40 for sale, and thought it looked ok, aside from one of the chinstrap bales somehow getting stuck between the leather and the band, and the adler being lacquered. I would very much appreciate if you guys could confirm whether it is indeed original.
    Thanks VERY much in advance.
    Another question, is there any indicators of a Luftwaffe helmet having been used by the Luftwaffe Field Divisions.
    SD Luftwaffe M40 SD Luftwaffe M40 SD Luftwaffe M40 SD Luftwaffe M40 SD Luftwaffe M40
    Last edited by Ethan; 03-15-2019 at 11:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD Luftwaffe M40
    P
    Many

Are the batch or maker stamps visible at all? Looks to be a proper ET decal, but I’ll refer to the experts.

I believe the only way to discern its wartime use is if there are any unit markings or a name to be researched. Sometimes the unit marking can be found on inside of a leather finger.

?

Quote by MilitariaMatt View Post
    Are the batch or maker stamps visible at all? Looks to be a proper NS decal, but I’ll refer to the experts.

I believe the only way to discern its wartime use is if there are any unit markings or a name to be researched. Sometimes the unit marking can be found on inside of a leather finger.
    Thanks for the response.
    I can not make out the maker marks from the pictures provided, but the seller said it was made by hkp.

Looking OK so far. Just pull the liner out a bit and the bale should drop down - it is flexible. Not sure about the sloppy lacquer job. NH

?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Looking OK so far. Just pull the liner out a bit and the bale should drop down - it is flexible. Not sure about the sloppy lacquer job. NH
    Thanks for the response, if I get it I will definitely be comfortable with manipulating the liner so the bale drops down, since you informed me I could do, without it being damaged.
    As for the lacquer job, I would rather it not be there, but it does not bother me enough that I think I would risk damaging the decal to remove it.

?

If I can recall I think that most Luftwaffe Field Divisions were made in 1942-1943, but this is an M40, and it does not appear to be reissued so does that mean that it could have never been used by a soldier in the Luftwaffe Field Divisions?

Quote by Ethan View Post
    If I can recall I think that most Luftwaffe Field Divisions were made in 1942-1943, but this is an M40, and it does not appear to be reissued so does that mean that it could have never been used by a soldier in the Luftwaffe Field Divisions?
    LW soldiers also wore helmets in regular duty. Flak batteries around airports for example.
    They had helmets issued to them , lots of photos. So they did not need to be reissued.

An original helmet from what i can see, the chinstrap bale will come out no problem. Leon.

I also think the decal looks like a good ET decal. I'm assuming it is either an ET or Quist helmet? I tried to determine from the air vent but couldn't.
    I have a Quist M40 with a similar looking liner - very nice.
    Nick

Dark heavy textured paint & conical air vents point to HKP.
    D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast