Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint

Article about: Funny I should read this as my dad swore he he tied a string onto a black German helmet lying in a field in Normandy and pulled on it to see if it was booby-trapped and sent it home it never

Default SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint

Another one acquired in a trade earlier this year. I know some will say the black paint was applied post war but I do not agree. Check out the decal pictures, the decal was clearly masked off when the black over paint was crudely brush applied. Al B. says this probably was used by a flak unit. The helmet has a steel liner and is neck stamped lot # of 588, but the ear stamped maker/size stamp was lightly impressed, and only the "E" is apparent. I think it is an SE64. Anyway, it is what it is, Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint   SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint  

SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint   SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint  

SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint   SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint
    P
    Many

I have a similar black painted helmet. I also believe it to be war time painted but others don't think so. Mine is an ET M40 with a three digit lot #. You have a nice helmet there Jim

I'm a believer. If it was in more commonly seen camo colours, and had the same wear and patina to the paint I doubt anybody would shout "post war" on it. Was clearly worn for a good while with the black paint on. Nice pot Jim.

Agree that the patina shows considerable age and wear.
    Really like the look of this one.
    Chris

?

A night fighter.

I like it Jim, and it certainly has the look but some would say that with the passage of time, if painted in 1944 or 1954 who could tell now?? - and those folk may find that too much of a niggling doubt.

I guess it's like living near high tension power lines - personally I don't believe there is a health issue but it would hurt my resale value because others do.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Guys, I expect that there will be some here that will say that there is no evidence that black painted combat helmets, other than SS blackies, were utilized by the Reich, but I personally believe that there were period used black over painted helmets. I don't have period photos, but I have a piece with 100% rock solid bullet proof vet provenance. My first helmet, direct from my Uncle, is a no decal M35 helmet that was period repainted black, and from the traces remaining, it appears that the paint was gloss black. My Uncle was in the 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd ID, and landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. The 2nd ID was represented on D-Day by members who were tasked with the duty of protecting the Engineers who were clearing the beach obstacles. Charlie was on of the lucky few chosen for that task. He was in combat from 6/6/44 until 9/14/44, when he was seriously wounded in the fighting in Brest. The helmet in the pictures posted here was worn by the first German my Uncle knows that he killed in Normandy...on or around 6/12/44. After the fire fight ended he took the helmet and sent it home. It was in his cellar from 1944 when he sent it home until the summer 1962 when he gave it to me, along with one of his 3 (count them, 3!) Purple hearts. When he gave it to me he said he was relieved to get it out of his house. He told me that it "haunted" him every time he looked at it, yet he could never bring himself to throw it away. As you can see from the photos, it wasn't stored well, and one of Charlie's brothers "tested" a can of spray paint on it at some point before it was given to me, but there is unquestionable evidence of BLACK paint on the rivets, portions of the exterior shell, the skirt, the liner band, and the bales which was all there when my Uncle engaged the Soldat on or around 6/12/44. That is all the proof I need that occasionally helmets received a black overpaint DURING the War. Cheers, Jim G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint   SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint  

SD M40 Heer - Period Applied Black Overpaint  

?

I have no doubt that helmets were overpainted in black during the war Jim.
    From what I can see, your looks good to me, and as Al says, was likely used by a flak unit.
    Oh, I like your Uncle's bring home helmet too, pity about the white spray, but I could live with that.

Brad.

I like both helmets shown in this thread. I really like the back story on that second one. May not be in pristine shape, but its got a history that is priceless. Thanks for sharing both!

Totally correct helmet.
    I really like this one.
    war time black helmet 100%
    chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast