Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover

Article about: Hello all, I picked this one up recently and wanted to get some additional opinions for reference. This was originally purchased at auction from the Vet's Estate with the cover on it. The se

Default SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover

Hello all,

I picked this one up recently and wanted to get some additional opinions for reference. This was originally purchased at auction from the Vet's Estate with the cover on it. The seller did not know it was even a camo shell underneath until I inquired about it. I believe a good, field made cover and wanted to share here.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover   SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover  

SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover   SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover
    P
    Many

clearly an attempt has been made to Uncover the decals so someone must have known about the camo.
    Can't comment on the originality of the cover but I don't think the helmet and the cover are together for long.
    The cord looks pretty clean and so does the rest of the cover.

Did vets dig out decals?

Not a fan of the cover even though its probably from original parts.

If real this would be a very expensive combination to buy I assume.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

There are members here (Schwerpunkt) who know far more about helmets than me, but i think the helmet and cover have been together for a while, note how the rusty marks on the cover match the more pitted areas of rust on the rim of lid but there again it could be a clever faker. I agree about the cord as it looks to have been replaced!...

Im going out on limb with this, i think the cover is good.I dont base this on the material as fake ones use the same material. The stitching is less 'perfect' than on all the copies ive seen, the cotton seems to be a heavier grade. Ive seen a number of these faked and the stitching is always well done as on a modern sewing machine. Just my opinion

The close up, just doesnt look like its been done on a modern machine.
    SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover
    And this is stitching on an unfinished original
    SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover
    and this is modern stitching
    SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover
    Last edited by wizardman; 09-19-2015 at 05:24 PM.

MAP
    ?

Even if dug out, I like the helmet quite a bit. I too think the cover is good but will defer to those with more experience.

Caveat: I'm looking at this from a cell phone.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Great photos btw.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    clearly an attempt has been made to Uncover the decals so someone must have known about the camo.
    Can't comment on the originality of the cover but I don't think the helmet and the cover are together for long.
    The cord looks pretty clean and so does the rest of the cover.
    I'm just stating what I know. I bought this off a guy for $700 (that was his asking price, so I gave it to him)
    This is a guy that just buys stuff at auction to buy stuff. He has a little bit of everything, and I mean this guy buys EVERYTHING. This was his only piece of military memorabilia and before taking some requested photos for me, he never had pulled the cover off. Yes, collectors have been known to dig decals but this guy was not a militaria collector himself. I really don't think it was him who did it. Are there instances where Vets messed with their stuff after the war or dug decals? The decal digging is very crude and to me looks like it was done by somebody not knowing what they were doing, i.e. a Vet would fit into that category in my opinion. This was purchased at Estate auction by the guy I bought it from. I have no reason not to believe him and for the $700 he asked me for this certainly didn't seem like some scheme to swindle me out of my money and sell me a fake.

The cover fits on this shell like it has been there a long, long time. I found some areas of rust that do not look fresh to me and they mate perfectly with where the cover sat on the helmet.

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing of drawstrings on these things but this one is about to split and is hanging on by a single thread it is only thick after the knot. Now, if this is a field-made cover the drawstring may be different than those found on factory produced examples or it could be a replacement (not trying to sound sarcastic but what makes this appear to be a replacement, I really don't know and am asking, the material used?)

Somebody stated that Marsh covers were only made in the field during the war and were not factory produced. To me, I think that's what this is. There are Farby reproductions of these but the stitching on them is perfect and clearly modern. I do not know if they glow under a black-light but my cover does not.

I came across a period photo showing what looks like a tan/water pattern in wear, if anyone else has one please post it.

Also, I noticed something is printed on the top of the upper most strap, can anyone identify what it is?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover   SE66 camo w/ Marsh cover  

what would the color of this camo generally represent, Südfront maybe or do you think there's a chance it's DAK related?

William Kramer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast