Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second opinion on this M35 liner

Article about: So far I agree with most of the statements made, however I still feel that its possible the liner is smaller than the helmets size, liners do shrink but cannot get any smaller than the inner

Default Second opinion on this M35 liner

Hi guys, I'm toying with the idea of a new lid, this one might be it. M35 DD luft, the eagle's leg and the swastika are transplanted from a repro decal as it was denazified. The body of the eagle is original. I've no worries about anything on the lid really, its the liner that looks odd. The thing at the crown is a FJ kneepad used for padding. Apart from the obvious weird lace setup, I think the leather is from a smaller liner. There seems to be an overly large gap between the inner and outer liner bands. This is the only thing really putting me off.

What do you guys think, and could it be wartime done?

Second opinion on this M35 linerSecond opinion on this M35 linerSecond opinion on this M35 liner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Second opinion on this M35 liner
    P
    Many

Default Re: Second opinion on this M35 liner

I've noticed this one a couple of times myself during my regular internet trawling sessions. Like you I find it attractive but the same concerns you have put me off also. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with this purchase.

?

I'm inclined to believe that it is a replacement, but its strange that the liner seam has been placed at the front, the "string" looks to be a later addition, but why put a FJ rubber pad underneath?, the liner seems to be a smaller one

I'm still learning but shouldn't the liner band be an aluminium one for a DD M35 ... and if a reissue, wouldn't the decal be removed?
    I can see why the lacing was done ( because of the broken tongues ) but it doesn't have any staining to it and that makes me think it is a later addition. I'd take it and the pad out and the lid would look better IMO.

Dan

?

It would be a very interesting "field conversion" to have a fallschirmjager knee pad inserted by a soldat looking to make his life a little more comfy, I could totaly understand why someone would do it......I think it makes the lid a lot more personal

Seen this one a couple of times myself in my travels. The liners do shrink with age in some helmets causing the gap but they usually square off which it's started to do in the front. The string does look newer then the rest but I can see th fj pad being in there as a field conversion. What's the price?

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    Seen this one a couple of times myself in my travels. The liners do shrink with age in some helmets causing the gap but they usually square off which it's started to do in the front. The string does look newer then the rest but I can see th Fallschirmjager pad being in there as a field conversion. What's the price?
    I like the Fallschirmjager pad as a field conversion too, and feel the same about the string being a bit newer. The price is pretty tempting for a double decal, $750 usd..........

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I'm still learning but shouldn't the liner band be an aluminium one for a double decal M35 ... and if a reissue, wouldn't the decal be removed?
    I can see why the lacing was done ( because of the broken tongues ) but it doesn't have any staining to it and that makes me think it is a later addition. I'd take it and the pad out and the lid would look better IMO.

Dan
    This one is the reinforced aluminium type, 1939 dated. The double layer of metal at the chinstrap bales gives it away as this version. Not a reissue in this instance.

Thanks for the opinions guys, it has not helped my decision though I'm still torn If I take this long thinking about a lid I usually pass but I am really drawn to it for some reason....

Go with your gut mate, usually if you hold out its for a reason, well it is for me anyways. I reckon you will be happy with this one if you end up pulling the trigger

?

I think it's a field conversion with that padding in there. Liner strikes me as original and condition could account for the knee pad in there. Drawstring is weird. If I got this I'd look very close for signs of staining wear and age. Unless I saw something to clearly indicate it was period I'd remove it and replace it with an original drawstring. That said its a good deal for a DD LW I think if ones so inclined.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast