Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Single decal hkp64 3124

Article about: I have just been opening a few boxes that have been stacked away in my attic fo rthe last 8 years. In one of them I found this helmet. We used to find lots of these here on the Island when I

Default Single decal hkp64 3124

I have just been opening a few boxes that have been stacked away in my attic fo rthe last 8 years. In one of them I found this helmet. We used to find lots of these here on the Island when I was younger, unfortunately these days one turns up every 2 or 3 years instead of every 2 or 3 weeks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Single decal hkp64 3124   Single decal hkp64 3124  

Single decal hkp64 3124   Single decal hkp64 3124  

Single decal hkp64 3124   Single decal hkp64 3124  

Single decal hkp64 3124  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Single decal hkp64 3124
    P
    Many

Default Re: Single decal hkp64 3124

Nice M42, it looks just about unissued

Corey

Do you know when the finish ( lacquer / wax? ) was added to it? ... or is it just the flash.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Helmet looks to have had a coat of lacquer in the pics, which is no big deal, I like it regardless.
    The decal is in great shape.
    What strikes me as odd though, is the size 59 stamped leather in a 64 shell (normally only see size 56 or 57 leather in a 64 shell).
    Do you know the history of the helmet before it came into your possession?
    It may be a period replacement I suppose.

Brad.

Nice lid, but yes that liner size is really odd.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Nice lid, but yes that liner size is really odd.
    A good looking grey lined decal,but as you all point out,a strange liner set up? It fits perfectly for a miss matched size,i wonder if a replacement leather section has been placed over the original liner band?? Odd but still a nice helmet! Leon.

Hi,
    Its just as it came locally here on the Island. I had seen the mis match but thought nothing to it as it literally came out of an attic. I know that after June 44 when the Islands were cut off from the french mainland there were no supplies coming in so it was a case of make do and mend. At the end the troops here looked a real sorry bunch with repairs of all sorts to uniform jackets and trousers so its always possible tht it was repair done locally. I personally don't mind it being wrong, because thats how I found it and woulfd not be keen on swapping it out so it matched. That for me is not how I like to do it, a clean and tidy up but nothing more. No, its not lacquer on the helmet, I gave it a light oil as it had been stored for years and the shell had gone dull. So a quick wipe had just be done prior to taking the pics. I really like this one myself as i picked it up when i was in my teens and remember buying it and then riding home on my bike.

?

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Hi,
    Its just as it came locally here on the Island.
    No, its not lacquer on the helmet, I gave it a light oil as it had been stored for years and the shell had gone dull.
    What sort or oil did you use?
    Just quietly, some collectors like these dull and un-oiled helmets

Brad.

I used a light gun oil and have used the same one for years and none of the helmets have suffered any adverse effects... so far. I realise some prefer to leave well alone and appreciate that, but thats what makes us all different. I do have a number of helmets that I have picked up in the recent past in as found untouched condition, so even I may be swaying in how I keep my helmets in the future. The oil will eventually dry out with no lasting effects.