Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Some police helmet questions

Article about: I just traded some low grade artifacts for two police helmet shells from a basement in Aachen Germany. I know they aren't worth a whole lot but I didn't pay hardly anything either. My proble

Default Some police helmet questions

I just traded some low grade artifacts for two police helmet shells from a basement in Aachen Germany. I know they aren't worth a whole lot but I didn't pay hardly anything either. My problem with them is the decals have been partially scratched off both sides at the end of the war to obscure the swastikas. Both have no liner and both have light rust all over. Now I know with most antiques you sholdn't refinish them but... would it really hurt these since they probably aren't worth a hill of beans anyhow? I am thinking of sanding, painting, and putting new decals on them (same as what was originally on them of course.) See the pictures for more info. I just don't want to go ahead and do it only to find out I they have lost ALL value because of it. Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yeah, this guy in Germany says he knows of a few people with old ww2 "junk" in their basements, he says he will round some of it up to trade to me for more of my artifacts!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some police helmet questions  
    Attached Images Attached Images Some police helmet questions  Some police helmet questions 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some police helmet questions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Some police helmet questions

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Even though these are not worth a huge amount, DO NOT strip and repaint them. You will destroy any value they have to any serious collector.

As they stand they tell a story.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi ya! I totally agree with Ade. Please don't touch them! They are of a higher monetary and historical value if left as close to original as possible.
    Cheers
    Andy

Gosh guys, I was afraid you would say that..... ugh. They look really bad as is though.. What about redoing the decals only? I'm guessing that's a no go as well... sigh. Suppose I can put them back on the shelf for now. Thanks for your help though-

No sorry....

My advice is if you want a mint new looking item the best course of action is to save up and buy one.

So much militaria is ruined by people wanting to "upgrade" items. All that is left in their wake is a pile of messed with junk. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it pains me to see it. I have been collecting 30 odd years and the amount of bad stuff I have seen is frightening.

Cheers, Ade.

Okay, I will leave it be. One last question (don't mean to keep bothering you) would you suggest I find a liner for it or doesn't it matter/isn't worth it?

Personally, I would not bother. The financial outlay involved would not be worth it. Plus we are again going into the "messed with" catagory. If you ever decided to sell at some point in the future, the buyer would gleefully point out "this and that" had been done to it in order to lower the price.

I hope you don't think I am being too negative, but I hate to see things messed with or time and money wasted.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

I hope you don't think I am being too negative, but I hate to see things messed with or time and money wasted.

Cheers, Ade.
    i could not agree more with you ade