Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SS helmet

Article about: Hi All, I have this M42 helmet with SS decal and just wanted to know some thoughts on this item. Many Thanks

Hi Scottmandoo, welcome to the forum, thanks for re-loading the runic images, I too was "scratching" my head at what I was supposed to be looking at! As you already know, this is a reworked helmet with fake decals and paint I am afraid, sorry, Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    No good I'm afraid. Paint is modern and so is the decal. All have been aged ( multiple repeated tool marks - maybe gravel thrown at the surface??? ) A repro strap and possibly the liner too.

Leave well alone.......

Dan
    Dan is spot on i'm afraid !!

Hi All, Thank you very much for your knowledge I am absolutely no expert......yet?
    Last edited by scottmadoo; 09-27-2014 at 06:36 PM.

?

Hi, can u post straight on shots of the decal?

?

Hi Scot,

How did u come across this helmet? Can u obtain straight on shots of the decal with the camera set in macro mode? Who's the maker? What's the size and batch number? Avoid angle shots of the decal as well. I'm not convinced that decal is fake, at least not yet I am.

Regards
    Samir

?

The angle shots are what's throwing me off a little. I believe it to be a good ET pattern decal. I won't comment about the camo until better photos have been provided, but I will email my good buddy Kelly Hicks. I'm gonna need his help. Hopefully I get lucky and he's around to comment. We might have ourselves a gem here.

Regards
    Samir

H'mm, For an established SS helmet collector like SSamir to lean toward the possibility of this being OK, I should retract ( or at least qualify ) my comments to the negative.

I just felt that the repetitiveness of the marks was odd and the outer wear not all that comparable to the inside ( as much as which we were shown of course ) Features such as these are what we have been cautioned to be wary of ( especially in a multi-thousand $ purchase ) and it probably deserves the all important "in-hand" assessment before we dis it further. Tempering that is the fact that a genuine SS cammo that no-one knew about is rare as rocking horse poop!!

Regards, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    H'mm, For an established SS helmet collector like SSamir to lean toward the possibility of this being OK, I should retract ( or at least qualify ) my comments to the negative.

I just felt that the repetitiveness of the marks was odd and the outer wear not all that comparable to the inside ( as much as which we were shown of course ) Features such as these are what we have been cautioned to be wary of ( especially in a multi-thousand $ purchase ) and it probably deserves the all important "in-hand" assessment before we dis it further. Tempering that is the fact that a genuine SS cammo that no-one knew about is rare as rocking horse poop!!

Regards, Dan
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the kind words my friend but I still could be wrong, i'm only human you know. I have been looking at the decal for the past hour, and even with the angle shot, I still can not find a flaw or any suspicion that leads me to believe it's a bad one. The liner, including string looks good as well. The camo looks convincing too but i'm not 100% certain. Let's wait for Kelly or Doug to chime in and see what they say. Hopefully its a good one.

Regards
    Samir

?

Quote by SSamir View Post

i'm only human you know.
    Samir
    Surely you jest Samir,.....Superman only has one S and you have doubles.

?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Surely you jest Samir,.....Superman only has one S and you have doubles.
    LOL! Hi John, remember, you knew me before the second "S", lol! I still remember that line, a good one indeed. What are u doing up so late? I hope you didn't upset the "wifee".

Samir

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast