Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Helmet found at local auction Opinions please!!

Article about: About a year ago, I attended a local auction and purchased the helmet in the pictures. I would be most greatfull for any opinions or comments regarding both the helmet, its originality and t

Default SS Helmet found at local auction Opinions please!!

About a year ago, I attended a local auction and purchased the helmet in the pictures. I would be most greatfull for any opinions or comments regarding both the helmet, its originality and the damage etc. Please.SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!

Photo 1. General view of the helmet showing exit holes. Wearer's right side.
    2. General view of the helmet showing top entry hole. Wearer's left side.
    3. Overhead view of the helmet showing a number of entry holes and damage.
    4. Internal view of helmet showing internal entry holes and liner damage etc.
    5. Internal view of neck guard showing personal details.
    6. Internal view of helmet showing possible projectile routs through the helmet using skewers.
    7. Ditto.
    8. General view of the helmet rear showing exit holes to shell and skirt.
    9. Internal view of helmet rear skirt showing prjectile exit hole and presumed liner damage caused by the projectile.

Having shown the helmet to a small number of collector aquaintances, opinions have ranged from "very nice and interesting" to "square bullets" and "obviously done with a pick axe". Judging by the flare or ragged turn back on the inside of the shell, it must have been a high velocity pick so I think that the pick is an unlikely event and square bullets - well, what can one say?? My guess would be air burst schrapnel or if it was in wear when the damage was done and the wearer laying down then possibly a hand grenade????? Your opinions please. With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

PS. I would also be interested in the regimental markings please. MR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet found at local auction  Opinions please!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Helmet found at local auction Opinions please!!

Looks like it's been attacked with a pickaxe!...

?

in my expeirience here,this is a post war round bottom badge and has post war added name sorry, real helmet ruined as they say here,my apologies, regards george

Is this a BGS helmet?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Looks like it's been attacked with a pickaxe!...
    Pick axe it is, SS helmet it is not!! I'm sorry but I hope you did not pay much for this as it is a ruined fake Chinese lid that's not even worth being used as a flower pot. So sad to see that someone treated this piece of history in this way!!!! Leon.

I am sorry to say that it is not original in any respect. The shell is not a period M35, so the rest is academic. Sorry, I hope you did not pay a lot for it, because it is totally fake. Jim G.

Side on you can't see the rear liner pin, also the dome is a strange shape (apart from the damage) is this a "doctored" Bulgarian lid?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Side on you can't see the rear liner pin, also the dome is a strange shape (apart from the damage) is this a "doctored" Bulgarian lid?
    Hi Gunny,this lid is such a mess I even edited my previous post,as that huge "ugly" vent at a quick glance made me put M16!! Then i actually used my blurrey eye's and saw that it was even worse than that. Not even close to a Third Reich helmet! I need some glasses and quick!!! Leon.

Whatever it is, we can all agree that it is NOT an original German helmet, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Unusual helmet, the massive vents give it away as a fake shell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast